Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming rig

Hey!

I'd like to buy myself a decent gaming rig. For the first time in my life I'm not blindly buying something at the local computer store (I learned the lesson : GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND). Anyway, I did some of my homework but I'm still lost.

I want to spend 2000 $ (CANADIAN). I need a CPU, a mobo, RAM ,a HD, a video card and a monitor (CRT). I'm looking to overclock a bit (I don't want to have to shovel dry ice on my CPU to keep it stable). I want to be able to max out the graphics on the next generation of games and still be able to play decently 1,5-2 years from now on.

Once I have a starting idea I can study it a bit :)

Thank you!

Re: Gaming rig

check out www.newegg.com for great pricings
    and how much is 2000 canadian compared to us dollars. a great cooling product would have to be zalmen they are great at cooling and dont cost a lot of money. this is what you can get for 2000 canadian 1750.92 us
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update
    Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    Model #: VA3000BWA
    Item #: N82E16811133132

$15.00 Mail-in Rebate
    Remove item from Cart Remove Save Save Move To Wish List
    $108.99 $108.99
    Internal Hard Drives

Update
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    Model #: WD2500JS
    Item #: N82E16822144417
    $103.00 -$5.00 Instant
    $98.00
    Monitors - LCD

Update
    VISON V1721DB Black 17" 12ms LCD Monitor - Retail
    Model #: V1721DB
    Item #: N82E16824161024
    ** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?
    **Dead Pixels Policy: Replacement or Refund for 8 or more dead pixels only.
    $189.99 -$5.00 Instant
    $184.99
    AMD-compatible Motherboards

Update
    ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    Model #: A8N-SLI Premium
    Item #: N82E16813131540
    $166.99 $166.99
    Video Cards

Update
    eVGA 256-P2-N527-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    Model #: 256-P2-N527-AX
    Item #: N82E16814130254
    $454.00 $454.00
    Power Supplies

Update
    AeroCool Turbine Power ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail
    Model #: Turbine Power 550w
    Item #: N82E16817101208
    $106.00 $106.00
    Fans, Heatsinks (Case, CPU, Chipset)

Update
    ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink - Retail
    Model #: CNPS7700-CU
    Item #: N82E16835118115
    $49.99 $49.99
    CPU Thermal Paste / Grease

Update
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
    Model #: ARCTIC SILVER 5
    Item #: N82E16835100007
    ** This item may only be returned for a replacement of the same make/model within 30 days only. what's this?
    $5.99 $5.99
    Memory - System

Update
    CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail
    Model #: Twinx2048-3200c2pt
    Item #: N82E16820145575

$40.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $225.00 $225.00
    Processors

Update
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail
    Model #: ADA3800BVBOX
    Item #: N82E16819103562
    $296.00 $296.00
    Subtotal: $1,695.95
    Shipping
    Zip Code:
    GO

*Enter your Zip Code and select a shipping option to determine your shipping cost.
    Shipping: $60.97
    Redeem Gift Certificates
    Claim Code:
    Security Code: Redeem
    Gift Certificates: $0.00
    Apply Promo Code
    Promo Code: Apply

*This cart qualifies for No Payments for 6 Months with Newegg.com Preferred Account* Total: $1,756.92

Printer-friendly Version

Comment

Originally posted by BURTON88
      check out www.newegg.com for great pricings
      and how much is 2000 canadian compared to us dollars.
      Newegg does not ship to Canada, as most would know, but http://www.ncix.com/ would be a place for Psykobob to look around at for a good Athlon64 setup.

Comment

What part of Canada are you in? I can give you some good tips if I knew that. Canada Computers is an excellent store and often their prices are better than NCIX. Let me know where you live and I can help. For 2K you can build a monster.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Comment

Should I wait for the next AMD's socket before buying my comp?

Comment

It depends on how long you want to wait. It's so close that I'd say you should indeed wait, but others are more impatient than I am.

Comment

You would likely be paying more for something that may or may not be an advantage, at the moment we dont know how DDR2 will affect the A64's... There are other "new" instruction sets and stuff, but you would probably be paying more for something that would probably not be MUCH better than what you could get now. Plus its often better to wait a while after something is released so they can work the bugs out, ie: Xbox 360, SLI, Xfire and so on.

Springing on a new system now, would not be a bad Idea IMO, plus AMD cut prices on the A64 and X2's not to long ago.

Comment

I'm not saying it would be a bad idea, but there's something to be said about having a system that will upgrade a couple times rather than a dead platform. I'm not convinced that the new socket will be much faster if at all, and I'll bet it won't have nearly as much bang-for-buck at launch.

Comment

OMG!!!!!! Stop going to tigerdirect.ca and start going to NCIX IMMEDIATELY!!!! You are overpaying by at least 10% if not 25%.

They are in Canada (BC) and only charge 7% tax!! Plus, they ship fast and I love them. You can also get stuff from CanadaComputers:

The best deals on laptops, PC, game systems, components, small appliances, cables, and office supplies. Save more by shopping online or in-store!

and I believe they only charge the tax for your province. BUT, I cannot suggest strongly enough you go to NCIX.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate

Comment

I'm leaning toward NCIX myself these days. Had problems with my last TigerDirect order taking way too long to arrive. Tried phoneing TigerDirect support line and was put on hold for so long that my phone died ... twice (weak battery ... but 40 minutes is a long time to be on hold). The only way that I could get through to a real person was to tell the automated phone system that I wanted to make a purchase ... the waiting time was only 15 minutes or so that way. I eventually got them to cancel my order since they claimed that the product was in California. They said that my C card would be refunded within 24 hours or so (if memory serves me correctly). The money was never refunded but the product arrived 2 days later. With that sort of responce I'm a bit distrustful of ever getting any satisfaction on a true problem ... like broken merchandise on arrival.
                      Last edited by PrairieDawg; 02-13-2006, 10:25 PM.
                      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Tigerdirect's prices are outrageous. I would never buy from them, especially after finding NCIX. Hardware is costly enough in Canada, why pay more.
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate

Comment

Working...
                        X