New AMD system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New AMD system?

I want to build a new system, tell me what you guys think, and if you have any suggestions, as well as incompatibilty comments.

[font=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Asus A8N SLI Deluxe NVIDIA Socket 939 Motherboard[/font] / PCI Express / Audio / Dual Gigabit LAN / SLI / Serial ATA / Dual RAID / USB 2.0 & Firewire

[font=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif] AMD Athlon 64 4000+ / 1MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / San Diego Core / Processor[/font] with Fan

Maxtor 250GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-133 / OEM / Hard Drive

[font=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Pioneer DVR-R110DBK / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 8x Card

Coolmax / CX1-600B / 600-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / 20/24-Pin / Power Supply

US Modular 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (2 x 512MB)

XFX GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / PCI Express / SLI / DVI / VGA / TV-Out / Video Card[/font]

Re: New AMD system?

How much of a gamer are you? What is the computer going to be used for, mostly?

I'd change the power supply. To what it should be changed will depend on the answers to my questions and what other hardware gets changed later. I'd probably change the motherboard, too, but it can wait.

Comment

I would go a asus a8n32-sli deluxe with either a fx57 or a x2 4800+.
      Last edited by iviuz; 01-18-2006, 06:20 AM. Reason: stuffed up

Comment

It's so I can play games like F.E.A.R. and use software like maya and video editing with flawless workflow and gaming performance. While still staying within a $1,200 budget. Maybe $1,500, and that's stretching it.

Comment

If you're willing to overclock, go with an X2 3800. If not, go with the best Athlon 64 X2 you can afford.

If you do want to overclock, a DFI nForce 4 Ultra D should be your motherboard. Dont' pay more for SLI, because I really doubt you'll ever use SLI. If you don't overclock, go for a nForce 4 Ultra board from a cheaper brand. ECS, Foxconn, and Chaintech are a few cheaper, yet reliable brands.

If you do overclock, you'll also be best off with something other than stock cooling. Get an XP-90 and a 92mm Panaflo L1B from jabtech.com.

Your power supply should be at least 550W, have a 24-pin power connector, and be from a reliable brand. I'd look at Antec, Fortron, and Enermax on Newegg. You should be able to get something good for $85-$95.

The video card should be a lot better unless you're only a casual gamer. A 7800GT would be good.

For your RAM, get dual 1GB sticks of PC3200. I'd have to say you should go for something with a CAS latency of 2, but to save some money for other stuff you could get CAS 2.5. In the case of the former, OCZ and Corsair have decent deals going on Newegg, IIRC.

Go for a SATA drive, and I'd say go for 300GBs as well. It's not very much more expensive than a 250GB. Go with Seagate or Western Digital over Maxtor (although Seagate just bought Maxtor). It couldn't hurt to get a SATA 2 (or SATA 3.0GB/s) drive, but it's not a huge improvement so don't pay much of a premium for it.

Comment

Yes, definitely an X2 and stay completely away from FX cpus. They are only good for overclocking. A 7800 GT is also a better choice than the GTXs. Much cheaper and can do it all just as well. I say get the DFI ULTRA-D even if you are not overclocking. It is the most stable board I have ever had the pleasure to own. It needs a little tweaking to get it perfect, but once you have it setup, it will run cooler on less volts and give you better results. And you don't need the SLI version because the regular version can easily be modded into SLI if wanted/needed (although it really isn't needed ever).
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I got my entire setup for under $1500 ( not by much though ) and I more or less had the same uses in mind when I started building.

You would actually end up paying less if you got what I did cause I paid more for my GT than what it is now, and I think the RAM I got is cheaper too. All at Newegg.

The highest cost would be for the proc, which as yawg said, you could simply go with a 3800+ and overclock it..

Comment

Working...
              X