Moved: New PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moved: New PSU

OK, I need a new PSU, and since regular reviews can be somewhat unreliable when it comes to PSU's, I figured this is a good place to ask!
    Now, I've got a Venice Athlon 64, so obviously I intend to overclock it (actually I already have, but the PC keeps on shutting down after an hour or so of gaming, a clean reboot, so I guess my PSU ain't up to the task). Also, I'd like a PSU that's capable of sustaining a water cooling system.
    Here are a few suggestions of my own (I'm guessing a 500 watt PSU is the minimum in this case):

TAGAN EasyCon 530-U15
    530 watts, 20A on the first 12V line, 20A on the second, (30A on +5V, 26A on +3.3V). If i remember correctly, this brand is pretty good, but the only review I've found is in german ...

Hiper Type-R 580W Blue

580 watts, 20 A on the first 12 V line, 18A on the second, 36 A on +5V, 32A on + 3.3V.
    http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/...pr580-blu.html (found this link on Froogle)
    Here's a link to a review.

I was looking at Komplett.se (I'm in sweden) and they've got 60+ different PSU's here, Fortron Source, Hiper, Cooler Master, Noth-Q, Seasonic, Silverstone, Tagan, Thermaltake...
    I suppse I should go with one of the more famous brands (Hiper?, Seasonic, Thermaltake, Tagan?, Fortron). Any ideas??
    http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.asp?bn=10159

One thing though, I don't have unlimited funds, and I have no need for anything above 600 watts. Just a pointer...

Update:
    I found this one in another store:
    OCZ Modstream 520W EU ATX,
    but it only has one +12V rail.

And this one:
    Antec TruePower 2.0 550W

Re: Moved: New PSU

The Truepower 2.0 is probably the best PSU you've looked at an will most likely handle whatever you throw at it.

Comment

The TruePower 2.0 seems to have nice currents, but I'd also like it to have modular cables, which this one lacks. I was thinking more about that Hiper PSU. I know that they're new/uncommon in the US, but here in Europe it has gotten really good reviews (PimpRig, 3DGame Man, R&BMods....) And, well, it loks nice too :). I'm well aware of the "too good to be true" factor, especially since this PSU costs a bit less than 130 $, but I'm hopeful..
      (Actually, I can't go above 140$)
      Unless, of course, someone here could tell me of some positive/negative experiences with this PSU, that would help..

Comment

$140 U.S.? I remember your prices are jacked up a bit since you're in Sweden, but I don't remember them being that high. I'd spend about half that much on a PSU in the U.S. for your sytsem, so I can't believe you'll need to spend that much. If the Hyper costs $130, try for something cheaper that's also modular. I'm not saying Hyper is necessarily a bad brand (not that I'd really trust it because of a couple of half-assed reviews, either), but I just can't see any features it has as being worth $130 or even close to it. Maybe if you had SLId 512MB 7800GTXs, an OCed A64 X2, and a half-dozen hard drives I could see you investing that much in a PSU, but you're running a mid-range system that could easily be handled by something $65-$85 over here. You ought to be able to get a sufficient, modular PSU for less than $130.

That said, maybe Swedish prices are higher than I remember and I'm just talking out of my ass. ;)

Comment

The OCZ Modstream can easily handle your system. You would be wasting your money on a dual rail PSU unless you run 2 graphics cards. In fact , a 450W OCZ Modstream would be more power than you could use now. I recommend the 520W so it has more for upgrades. I personally don't like ANTEC power supplies as the seem to have issues with some hardware.

THe 520W Modstream has a 28A 12V+ powerrail. My PSU always holds strong, even when highly overclocked and running intensive 3D apps. I used a digital multi-meter to measure the 12V rail and it was still over 12.01V when running my CPU @ 2.86GHz and the video card clocked to 500/1300.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

but I don't remember them being that high
            Well, they are! Some examples:
            Antec PowerSupply (PSU) 480W TruePower 2.0 - Blue
            149 $ incl. shipping
            Antec PowerSupply (PSU) 550W NeoPower High Efficiency
            168 $ incl. shipping
            Antec PowerSupply (PSU) 550W TruePower 2.0
            153 $ incl. shipping
            We poor Scandinavians ain't as lucky as you when it comes to computer parts availability and prices. Damn shame really...

The only other real option I have (not counting the Modstream) is this:
            Tagan EasyConnect 530 watt.
            +3,3V = 26A
            +5V = 30A
            +12V 1 = 20A
            +12V 2 = 20A
            -5V = 0,8A
            -12V = 1A
            5VSB = 2,5A

The OCZ Modstream can easily handle your system. You would be wasting your money on a dual rail PSU unless you run 2 graphics cards. In fact , a 450W OCZ Modstream would be more power than you could use now. I recommend the 520W so it has more for upgrades. I personally don't like ANTEC power supplies as the seem to have issues with some hardware.

THe 520W Modstream has a 28A 12V+ powerrail. My PSU always holds strong, even when highly overclocked and running intensive 3D apps. I used a digital multi-meter to measure the 12V rail and it was still over 12.01V when running my CPU @ 2.86GHz and the video card clocked to 500/1300. Yesterday 10:28 PM
            I intend to upgrade my rig after this summer, probably an FX 57 (1303 $, in case you're wondering. Compared to NewEgg, it's a 300$ difference!), or FX 60 cpu, and some watercooling. Oh, and I'll need another hard drive nex month. Hell, if I get enough work I might be able to buy a better gfx card as well. Point is, I want to have a future proof system, and be able to overclock it without my friggin PSU failing on me all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
              The OCZ Modstream can easily handle your system. You would be wasting your money on a dual rail PSU unless you run 2 graphics cards.
              Not really. Most new PSU follow the ATX 12v 2.0 standard, which requires the PSU have at least two 12v rails. Also, you can easily use that much with one graphics card if you overclock either the CPU or the vide card. I wouldn't recommend any 450W for an Athlon 64 system with a decent video card unless it never ran at anything besides stock.

In this case, you'll want something in the area of 550W with a combined 12V amperage somwhere in the mid- to high-30s since you're preparing for upgrades. I don't know how good Hyper as a brand is, but specs-wise that PSU should be perfect.

It's too bad that stuff costs that much more for you. You might consider eBay or some other forums (such as Anandtech) when purchasing certian hardware, because those are really bad prices.

Comment

I say go for the HIPER. They are very good PSUs and I know of 2 people running them with a X2 and one guy even has SLI 7800GTs. You may as well spend all you can instead of having to upgrade further later on. I still say a 520W Modstream is perfect for your present system, but it is not what you want for the upgrades you have planned.
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate
                Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I guess I'll go with the Hiper then. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X