Big difference in CAS latency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big difference in CAS latency?

Hello, I have 100$ to spend on a ram upgrade, and I have a decision to make.

Currently I have Corair ValueRam 512mb, with 3-3-3-8, as it is OC'ed.

Would my money be best used getting another gb of this ram, with its stock timings being 2.5-?-?-?, or should I give this stick away and buy 1gb of some Corsair XMS or similar?

peace

Re: Big difference in CAS latency?

If you're going to upgrade your RAM, get dual 1GB sticks. Get value stuff if you have to. Don't give your current RAM away for any reason. Sell it to buy more RAM.

Comment

How could I get dual 1gb sticks?

You think it's worth it to have more ValueRam than less ram with tighter timings?

Comment

You buy a matched pair or just buy the same stick twice... What do you mean how?

Yes, having more is usally better than having faster RAM. I'd say if you get more than 2GBs this no longer applies.

Comment

Newegg has a sweet deal on both XMS ([email protected]) and OCZ ([email protected]) RAM... 210 and 205 respectively, for 2-1gig sticks of PC3200 after rebate. <o:p></o:p>

I have read some reviews where faster timings yielded ~20 fps, where others it did not make much difference. It's really game/system and setting specific, but it's a given that you'd want the faster timings. Keep in mind that most RAM can be tweaked with more voltage for faster timings and or MHz, some better than others.

Comment

Working...
          X