• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• casecutter you may want to check the website I list there

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp
    suggest your rig for a over 550W PSU when it is running at peak time

Re: casecutter you may want to check the website I list there

That's probably one of the better calculators, but you simply can't go by that. It doesn't take into account a number of variables, particularly amperage on the different rails and how well a PSU can actually handle what it's rated for (which you can only tell from brand).
    Besides, I made a bunch of assumptions that probably aren't true, and I still could only get that site to show his system as needing 520W at peak. One such assumption was that he was running his San Diego at 2.7Ghz with 1.5V.

Comment

Yes I did same thing too and also assume he has 3 hard drive, several high performance fan etc. according to this website my peaktime PSU is around 375W. If I just take a 6600GT and never OC, 450W PSU is enough. But for a 7800GTX SLI OCer, he has to choose a PSU over 550W

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I ran my configuration through and get 450W @ 80% and a little over 500W @ 100%. Assuming my powersupply is even 75% efficient, then I really need a better one fast! I am looking at a 680W Thermaltake Purepower that has 3 12V+ rails totaling 52A. Right now, I have a single 12v+ rail @ 28A. The Modstream is a great PSU, it was just never meant to power a system like I built.

To anyone thinking of building a SLI system. DON'T!!! What a pain in the ass and what a wad of dough that could have been better spent. Build a nice single card system and enjoy.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Thermaltake is fine if you do'nt want to overclock, but in general I don't recommend Thermaltake for anything but stock speeds, especially if you have powerful video cards. The 680W model can probably take whatever you'll throw at it, but I bet it's pretty expensive. A 550W Antec or Fortron model would be fine for you. If you're goig to do some more extreme overclocking, than maybe a 600+W would be in order.

But like I said, you can't rely on a tool like that.

Comment

Well, I pretty much have come to my senses and decided to go back to a single videocard and quit buying hardware that is completely unneeded. I don't know why I made this jump, but I do regret spending all the money. Lucky for me, I got the cards at an incredible discount and I can sell one and not lose money. It is also time to get that DFI Ultra-D NF4 I have wanted for some time. SLI is just not worth the money. My CPU was so bottlenecked, it was faster with 1 card. Thanks for all the info and tips. I just hope someone else that is considering SLI reads this and understands just how much money you really need to spend to do it. And then, it is mostly for bragging rights. LOL.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
              Well, I pretty much have come to my senses and decided to go back to a single videocard and quit buying hardware that is completely unneeded. I don't know why I made this jump, but I do regret spending all the money. Lucky for me, I got the cards at an incredible discount and I can sell one and not lose money. It is also time to get that DFI Ultra-D NF4 I have wanted for some time. SLI is just not worth the money. My CPU was so bottlenecked, it was faster with 1 card. Thanks for all the info and tips. I just hope someone else that is considering SLI reads this and understands just how much money you really need to spend to do it. And then, it is mostly for bragging rights. LOL.
              I agree with your choice. I think the second GPU does not help you that much while it takes your 150W more. get off it, then your 520W will be totally enough.
              I think I will choose the SONATA II with Antec SP2-450 if it is looks pretty. otherwise I will go for Seasonic S-12 430 or 500 with another case

Comment

Working...
              X