what case I should take then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what case I should take then

If I consider the seasonic 500W, what case will be nice for it as the PC I will build

Re: what case I should take then

This is the first time I've ever heard of somebody wanting to buy a case to match their power supply.

Your question is more than a little broad. When it comes to enclosures, you need to consider your budget, airflow, what kind of physical appearance appeals to you, the space it has inside... the list can go on for some time. Some folks like a plain case with no external frills while others are looking for something that is designed to accommodate their water cooling setup. More information is needed for us to answer a question like this.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

What I would like to have is a silent case, not too expensive. Do not need a fancy looking. Just could be cool and silent for my PC( I plan to have X2 3800+ or 4200+ MSI K8N Neo4, 250G HD 6600GT or 6800GS) I don't do OC
      I was thinking SONATA II, But some people told me it might not be enough.
      So I thnik I should go for a Seasonic 500W ( heard it is much better than True power) or I should choose True Power ?

Someone suggest me Antec SLK3000B, but I find it only has one rear fan. an article saying that front fan is not good.
      http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...c_cooling.html
      But I think P180 is too big and too expensive also it needs some extension I heard.
      So I got confused a little bit

Comment

Sounds like you need to take a ride to a computer store and physically look at cases. I would never buy a name brand case as they are way too much money. My case is a generic case that is roomy, has 120MM intake and exhaust fans and is even a toolless design. I paid $50 Canadian for it. It had a crap power supply that I never used as well. This thing flows better than most $200 cases IMO. Running SLI my motherboard temps stay under 34C, the CPU stays under 38C and my video cards stay under 55C and that is all at full load gaming. When I am not gaming, the motheboard is at 30C, the CPU 30C and the video cards 42C. Skip the brand names and look for airflow.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Yeah. that's a good point. Well, I am in Canada too. hope to find sth like that.

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
            Sounds like you need to take a ride to a computer store and physically look at cases. I would never buy a name brand case as they are way too much money.
            Never? I mean, my personal philosophy is no more than $50 USD shipped (barring SFF cases, which can be worth the premium), but I don't restrict myself to no-name cases. I usually go for a $30ish (+ shipping) Raidmax or a $20ish from some budget brand, but a brand is a brand. They aren't all expensive. Granted, I guess I can see why some people might spend more on a case for cooling purposes, since I prefer to just mod my case rather than spend three times as much on something I'd never want to mod.

I certainly see what you mean in that going for a specific brand is silly. I choose based on airflow and material (how flimsy it is and how heavy it is) and (to a much lesser extent) looks.

Comment

Originally posted by YeJX
              Yeah. that's a good point. Well, I am in Canada too. hope to find sth like that.
              If you are in Ontario, go to Canada Computers. They have a case called "The Duke". That is the case I use. I paid $55 including GST and PST. It really flows very well and is actually quite strong.

And I see your point Yawgmoth. I should have been more specific and just stated the max I will also spend is $50. I too love to mod them to improve any aspects that need improving. I got lucky with my current case as it has excellent airflow out of the box. Technically, it was "Designed for Pentium PCs" so I figured it needed to get rid of alot of heat.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate

Comment

If you are in Ontario, go to Canada Computers. They have a case called "The Duke". That is the case I use. I paid $55 including GST and PST. It really flows very well and is actually quite strong.

And I see your point Yawgmoth. I should have been more specific and just stated the max I will also spend is $50. I too love to mod them to improve any aspects that need improving. I got lucky with my current case as it has excellent airflow out of the box. Technically, it was "Designed for Pentium PCs" so I figured it needed to get rid of alot of heat.
                Casecutter, I am in Vancouver and I am not a good case cutter as you are. actually, I have not done so before although I use computer over 15 years.
                The good thing is , we have some local store here providing free assembly service if you buy all parts from them ( parts are even cheaper) than Canada computers.

So , I guess I would pick ok nice quality case and get the PC working. Then I might mod it later when I am sure I can do it.

So do you think I should pick a case with side or bottom fan? Lots of case only have Rear and front fan while some review saying that intake front fan is not so good.

Comment

Front intake is only good if there are actually holes in the front bezel itself. Lots of cases have mounting for front fans, but the fans basically draw air from no where. Side intake is preferable to those cases. However, a case with good front take is better than side intake, for the most part. Exhaust should be back and/or top. I like to have at least a single 80mm back fan for exhaust, but I prefer two 80mms or a single 120mm as well as an 80mm top exhaust. When I mod a case I usually just put a CPU duct, which greatly reduces the need for intake fans. If you can find a case that uses a CPU duct that will work with your motherboard, that may be the best cooling option available to you.

Comment

Could you also provide a method that could evaluate the wattage each component will take? I could then know the what PSU I should choose

Comment

No, that can't be done accurately. Well, it kind of can, but you can't judge PSUs by wattage. If I remember your system's components correctly, you're going to need something in the area of 500W with a native 24-pin connector (most new PSUs will have this, so don't worry too much about it). A few brands to look for include Antec, Enermax, Fortron, Sparkle, and OCZ.

Comment

I suggest getting a power supply that is top quality and has at least 500W and a solid 25A+ on the 12v+ rail. I prefer OCZ myself, but Antec, Thermaltake, and Enermax also make excellent units. Just don't skimp on it or you will regret it later on. For example, look at my PC. My power supply is an excellent unit, but it is not capable of running my system properly and I desperately need to upgrade it.

As for the case, my case has a cutout in front and a grill tha is open to the entire space of the 120MM fan so it draws in alot of fresh air. Same thing with the rear fan, it is open. Plus, my side panel has a top mounted fan which I use as exhaust. I prefer a top mounted exhaust fan, I just haven't gotten around to adding one. Anyhow, modifying a case is easy. With a pair of tin nips and a simple drill, you can add fans wherever there is open space. Don't be afraid to try, experiment on an old case if you have one. We all were beginners at one time.
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate

Comment

I suggest getting a power supply that is top quality and has at least 500W and a solid 25A+ on the 12v+ rail. I prefer OCZ myself, but Antec, Thermaltake, and Enermax also make excellent units. Just don't skimp on it or you will regret it later on. For example, look at my PC. My power supply is an excellent unit, but it is not capable of running my system properly and I desperately need to upgrade it.

As for the case, my case has a cutout in front and a grill tha is open to the entire space of the 120MM fan so it draws in alot of fresh air. Same thing with the rear fan, it is open. Plus, my side panel has a top mounted fan which I use as exhaust. I prefer a top mounted exhaust fan, I just haven't gotten around to adding one. Anyhow, modifying a case is easy. With a pair of tin nips and a simple drill, you can add fans wherever there is open space. Don't be afraid to try, experiment on an old case if you have one. We all were beginners at one time.
                          I guess, I might choose Seasonic S12 500W as I read a good review on silent PC(or maybe Fortron or Antec as they are cheaper). and then will check the case in our Local store :).

Comment

You may check the website below
                            http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

I input your system (I assume you do the OC) then It suggest you need at least 516W PSU(not at that leak time). In order to let your system running ok at peaktime, you would need sth over 590W although you are not always working at the peak time.

Well, my system will need about 380W at peak time according to the website,
                            I guess, if I would not upgrade my video card. a 430W or 450W PSU is enough for me. otherwise, I have to choose a 500W maybe Seasonic S-12

Comment

Working...
                            X