Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Power Supply... CHOICES?

Ok guys, heres my dilemna.

I tried to add 2 new SATA Hard drives, and my 12v rail is maxed out on my current PSU I figured this out by trying to add another HD, and my comp would not even goto the OS, so I removed the power connector only from the new drive, and powered back up and my PC ran like a champ again.

So I'm 99% sure thats what it is...

Current system specs:
    Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case
    350W PSU (brand unsure)
    ASUS P4C-800 Deluxe
    P4 3.2 proc
    2GB Corsair Memory TWINX (2x1GB matched pair)
    BFG 6800GT vid
    36GB WD RAPTOR
    ADDING NEW: 320 GB WD (adding for Storage and for OS RAID backups after I get this installed I will raid the 2 36GB RAPTORS)
    ADDING NEW: 36GB WD RAPTOR (adding 2nd to Raid the RAPTORS)

So what I want is a few power supplies to choose from.
    Everything I have read seems to make me feel that I will be going with either:
    ULTRA X-Finity
    or
    ULTRA X-connect

What I want to know is how many of you have used these power supplies?
    Im old school and most of the time I get an ANTEC or ENERMAX PSU...

What do you all think?

Thanks! and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Mike A!
    TAMPA, FL

Re: New Power Supply... CHOICES?

Don't go with an Ultra PSU ever. If you're reading something good about them, it's probably a review on some site that didn't do a very good job. Even if they did, you can't rely on site reviews for PSUs. User reviews are the only thing that you can go by, for the most part. Ultra PSUs have been known to have a lot of problems.

Antec, Enermax, and Fortron are probably the three most reliable brands that are well-priced. You'll need at least 450W I'd say, but if you want to use this if and when you ever upgrade this system, I'd suggest something closer to 550W with a 24-pin or 20+4-pin power connector. If you do that, you'd be able to upgrade without getting a new PSU.

Comment

Personally I'm not running SATA drives but the Acbel psu in my box has never faltered.

I have to agree with Yawg that the reviews haven't been kind to X-Connect, I admire the principle of their design concept but reliability seems to be questionable
      E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

You could test your new harddrive by unplugging another then plugging the new one back in to see what happen. Thats just to make sure there's no defect with the drive itself.

If you need a better power supply which you probably do judging by the video card you have. I'd get one with mutiple 12v rails. You should be ok if you go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
          Don't go with an Ultra PSU ever. If you're reading something good about them, it's probably a review on some site that didn't do a very good job. Even if they did, you can't rely on site reviews for PSUs. User reviews are the only thing that you can go by, for the most part. Ultra PSUs have been known to have a lot of problems.

Antec, Enermax, and Fortron are probably the three most reliable brands that are well-priced. You'll need at least 450W I'd say, but if you want to use this if and when you ever upgrade this system, I'd suggest something closer to 550W with a 24-pin or 20+4-pin power connector. If you do that, you'd be able to upgrade without getting a new PSU.
          I did not get an email response saying I had responses to my post, so I didnt looke here. I already ordered an Ultra X-connect (X-2 second generation X-connect PSU) they have been used by many gaming rig companies, and do have very good specs for efficiency and 12v Rail specs. THey also offer a lifetime guarantee, so I went with them.

EDIT: I forgot about fortron, they were the first PSU (a 250w) I ever had, and it still works, and is in a friends PII cpu.
          I was going to go with unquestionably the best power supply on the market: although it is not modular no one can say bad things about turbo-cool power supplies. Simply put they ROCK... I just could not see paying THIS much. :(
          Last edited by mlakrid; 12-19-2005, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
            You could test your new harddrive by unplugging another then plugging the new one back in to see what happen. Thats just to make sure there's no defect with the drive itself.

If you need a better power supply which you probably do judging by the video card you have. I'd get one with mutiple 12v rails. You should be ok if you go that route.
            The hard drive works, I put it in directly after the HD with my OS fails... the HD is recognized, so, its a power issue... Oh well..

Comment

Working...
            X