Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

After you enter the cdkey a certain amount of time it gets disabled.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by kbreese
      I don't see why I'd need to use a seperate key. I mean what if I install a new hardrive in her computer than i'd have to reload the OS and re-enter the key again. Anyhtime anyone upgrades HD's they have to do this and they don't have to go out and buy a new OS each time.
      Not just and HDD, but if she changed enough hardware, she might actually have to buy a new one. XP checks certain pieces of your hardware, and they become associated with that key. Also, you can't use the same key at the same time on multiple computers. You have to check the key with MS, and it either won't activate or will deactivate the copy of Windows on the other computer when you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
        Not just and HDD, but if she changed enough hardware, she might actually have to buy a new one. XP checks certain pieces of your hardware, and they become associated with that key. Also, you can't use the same key at the same time on multiple computers. You have to check the key with MS, and it either won't activate or will deactivate the copy of Windows on the other computer when you do.
        hmm, I was told by a few people this isn't true, and that if you wanted to you could use the same disc for more than one comp. THEORETICALLY SPEAKING of course. Hmm...what to believe...

Comment

hmm, I was told by a few people this isn't true,
          Then they don't know what they're talking about. Even a retail version of XP requires reactivation with enough hardware changes. OEMs technically shouldn't allow reactivation, although I think MS will let you do it anyway.
          and that if you wanted to you could use the same disc for more than one comp
          Nope. Only a key for a corporate version of Windows XP Professional will do this.

Comment

Well the system just arrived today, figured I'd check back with some pictures. How does this wiring look to you guys? I have heards complaints about how their wiring is usually a mess, but this looks fine to me. Everything it tied and out of the way, but than again, I guess I really don't know what a real good wiring job looks like.

Comment

Actaully that is a mess. Other companies north falcon, alienware, voodoo, and others i missed, they hide there wires, so the only thing you see are the connectors.

Comment

Oh really? I can't see how they do that...how can you only see the connectors? What do they possibly do with all the wiring?

I just assumed when people said mess it meant all the individiual wires were just all over the place, and in mid view, in front of the cpu etc. These seem to be bunched together & have ties all over the wiring holding it together and its out of they way of the CPU/Mobo & memory & PCI slots etc...it's also not blocking air flow from any any of the fans in any way.

Do you have any pictures of a wired system like you are talking about? I'd be interested to see. For the record though those other companies also charge twice as much for the same system. Cybperower did offer a "pro-wiring" serives for $19 extra, which i tried to jump on but I was too late, they already had it built when I discovered it.

Comment

I coudn't find a good example, but didn't try hard so here.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow, no doubt thats really clean looking, and I know from a technical standpoint thats obviously a much more precise wiring job. However, I actually kinda like the overall looks of mine better. Alot more colorful and lively. When I look into a computer I expect to see some wires...to me thats just part of the charm of looking into one through the plexiglass. To each their own I guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X