Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

Thanks for the link. Let me ask you though, if I get a Western digital drive, doesn't it include a floppy that does everything for you? Like I said, I swapped HD's in my current computer and all I had to do was load and run the disk that came with it,basically follow the directions and that was it. Than I just installed windows which is no more difficult than installing a new game, just more time consuming.

I am now beginning to seriously consider building my own. If any of you have the time please pretend you have $1000 max to build the best gaming system you can for that amount of money. I'd like to see what you come up with!

Comment

Honestly..i already did that...ahha..i'll do it again later.
      CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
      Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
      RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
      GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
      PSU: Thermaltake 500w
      SC: Audigy 2 zs
      LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
      Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
      Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

TOTAL PRICE OUT THE DOOR $1135 (FREE SHIPPING).

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR EVVERYONE'S INPUT HELPING ME TO IMPROVE ON THE SYSTEM!

My final question (for now, lol) is i just want to very this system is 100% ready for me to upgrade to a second 6800GS video card in the near future. Thanks again!

Comment

AHHA..you suck..i like configed what i wanted in a system..but i ain't gonna bother putting it on...anywho good luck, and still..i don't see a reason for a second cdrom.

Comment

Well b/c I was told it's quicker, easier & better for making custom burned CD's. What was the total of what you configured?

Comment

Who told you that? Well my setup costed 1022.42 after tax and 3day shipping but usaully comes early.

Comment

Ok I added up most everything I got with buying the parts seperately:

Case: Newegg didn't sell it but Tigerdirect had it for $70+$16 shipping = $86
                CPU: $201
                NEC 3520A: Newegg didn't have it but cheapest price on pricegrabber is $55 delivered.
                SONY CDRW 52X32X52 $26 delivered
                Flash Media Reader $10
                Half Life 2 Bronze: I'll just say $25
                Floppy Drive: $10
                HDD: $80
                Logitech Keyboard $19 delivered
                MS Intellimouse $28 delivered
                MB: $110 delivered
                Memory: $120 shipped
                Enermax PSU: $95 delivered
                Video Card: $213 shipped
                Speakers $15 delivered

TOTAL= $1093 compared to the $1074 I paid for the whole system together. I took out the extra $49 rush charge I paid as it's not really fair to include that. Also, factor in I have a 3 year warranty + 1 year onsite warranty & tech support, although the forums are probably best for that, lol.

Anyhow, hopefully it all works out. Maybe next time i try and build one. I don't think going either way is right or wrong. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Mostly just personal preference.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
                  Who told you that?
                  One of them was a moderator on PC Perspective. See posts 10 thru 15 here: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...4&page=1&pp=15

Originally posted by AsianBatman
                  Well my setup costed 1022.42 after tax and 3day shipping but usaully comes early.
                  I wouldn't mind seeing it if you want to post it.

Comment

My Current Wish List
                    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
                    1 RAIDMAX Astro ATX-268WSP Silver 0.7mm Japanese SECC Gaming Tower Computer Case - Retail
                    Model #: ATX-268WSP

In Stock
                    Remove Remove Add item to Cart Add item to Cart
                    $30.00 $30.00
                    1 DFI nF4 SLI Infinity Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
                    Model #: nF4 SLI Infinity

In Stock
                    $122.00 $122.00
                    1 ASUS EN6800GT/2DT/256MB Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
                    Model #: EN6800GT/2DT/256MB

In Stock
                    $269.00 -$20.00 Instant $249.00
                    1 Thermaltake W0093RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 500W Power Supply - Retail
                    Model #: W0093RU

In Stock
                    Mail-in Rebate
                    $79.99 $79.99
                    1 AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail
                    Model #: ADA3200BPBOX
                    ** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?
                    In Stock
                    $166.00 $166.00
                    1 OCZ Performance Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024PFDC-K - Retail
                    Model #: OCZ4001024PFDC-K

In Stock
                    $117.83 $117.83
                    1 Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JS 120GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
                    Model #: WD1200JS

In Stock
                    $74.50 $74.50
                    1 Logitech Cordless Internet Pro Desktop 967461-0403 Black USB RF Wireless Slim Desktop Mouse Included - OEM
                    Model #: 967461-0403

In Stock
                    $32.00 $32.00
                    1 BenQ Black IDE DVD Burner Model DW1620 BLK - OEM
                    Model #: DW1620 BLK
                    ** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?
                    In Stock
                    $37.99 $37.99
                    Subtotal: $909.31

Comment

Looks like a nice setup for someone who prefers to build there own, but I think you should go with a better processor, since the increases are pretty cheap up until like 4000 arent they?

I changed a few things on my setup:

I switched a few more things since they hadn't started building it yet:

1) switched to the larger, much better cooled Aspire X-Navigator case. Price difference was only $5 even though that case retails like $70 more. This case has 1X120mm fans and 4X80mm fans and is pretty well reviewed.

2.) I dropped the Sony CRDW and just kept the NEC

3.) I switch from Corsair XMS memory to Value select b/c I read a review where they tested both and the performance difference was insignificant unless you plan on overclocking which I don't.

4.) I upgraded to the eVGA NVIDIA Geforce 7800GT card. This should make a nice performance difference and since I have an SLI Motherboard and plenty of power with the "SLI ready" Enermax, I can add another 7800GT in the future which could quite possibly double the life of the computer in terms of keeping up with new games.

The total of these changes added $25 to the price. if I re-add all the prices of buying everything seperately I'm sure it would come out to more than this whole system. I figure, I can always take it apart & reassemble if it makes me feel better, lol.
                      Last edited by kbreese; 12-08-2005, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Hey guys a few of you have hinted about getting software for free. I really need an operating system...hopefully the best version of XP and possible MS office, basic. Can someone throw me a bone as to where i can obtain these. I get emails a lot for Xp+office for like 489 but assume it's crap. But I don't know....

Whats the best OS for gaming?

Comment

There are student versions of Windows XP you can get for free, and you can certainly pirate it... Otherwise, you'll have to buy it. Best to go with OEM and save yourself some money. Go with either XP Pro or Home. Pro has some nice features, but I highly doubt they'll be even remotely useful to you. You can research more on your own, but generally you'll find a lot of silly people saying "Oh Pro is sooo much better it's more stable and faster and its awesome!!!!" or something to that effect, when in reality they're identical, minus a few networking features.

You don't need MS Office. Get Open Office from openoffice.org. It's completely free, can save in all MS formats (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc.), and is functionally no different than MS Office.

Comment

Wow, great info, thanks! Actually I bought my girlfriend a dell computer for xmas and it comes with XP Home edition SP2. Can I just use the disk they supply with the computer to copy it onto my computer? Will i still be able to get updates??

Also, thats awesome info about Open Office. So if she needs to email something in an MS word or excel format to someone who has MS Word, she can send a document or spreadsheet this open office and the person can open it in the MS word or excel as if it were the same thing??

Comment

No. You'll need to use a seperate key. You can certainly use the disk, but it's no good without a key.

Yes, she'll be able it as if it were the same thing. Occasionally (rarely, I'd say), you get minor differences. For example, I recently made a PowerPoint for a school project, and the bullets turned up as underscores. It was a little wierd, but it didn't really hurt anything.

Comment

I don't see why I'd need to use a seperate key. I mean what if I install a new hardrive in her computer than i'd have to reload the OS and re-enter the key again. Anyhtime anyone upgrades HD's they have to do this and they don't have to go out and buy a new OS each time. I know you technically aren't supposed to do it on a seperate computer, and I won't b/c its illegal. I am just theoretically speaking. And theoretically speaking it doesn't make any sense that it wouldn't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X