which lcd monitor should I buy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which lcd monitor should I buy???

was thinking of buying a new lcd monitor 4 Christmas 2 replace my current crt monitor.....but I want a monitor that can handle games such as F.E.A.R. & NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED & COD2...etc....the only things I know when 2 look 4 an lcd monitor 4 gaming is the response time & contrast ratio.....these r the 3 monitors that I've been researching so far.....samsung syncmaster 930bf 19"...acer al1916w (widescreen)....& the viewsonic vx924 19"....the thing is the samsung has a contrast ratio of 700:1 & a 4ms response time where as the other 2 have a 500:1 contrast ratio.....but the viewsonic has a 3ms response time & the acer widescreen has an 8ms response time......but if there's any other lcd monitors that anybody can recommend or any other things I should look in2 b4 buying any lcd monitor plz tell me.....I've heard some negative things about lcds 4 gaming use & I don't want 2 be stuck in2 buying an lcd monitor that has ghosting or blurry images.....especially if I'm spending about $400-$600 on it.....thanks!

btw here r the links 2 the 3 monitors:

Comprehensive tech reviews written by TechSpot editors. From CPUs and graphics cards, to laptops and smartphones.

Shop the latest Acer products, from Chromebooks, laptops, monitors, desktop PCs, and projectors for office, home, and entertainment use.

Re: which lcd monitor should I buy???

Why are you considering an LCD? Unless you need the improved mobility, there's no reason to get one. An LCD is by no means an upgrade to a CRT in any sense of the word. They're simply smaller, lighter and (as a result) more mobile. The image quality is worse, they generally run at lower resolutions, and the response time and low refresh rate create a serious limitation on how high your framerates can go before being excessive.

Comment

All the decent LCD's are really expensive, i have a LCD for office use, and a 17' crt for gaming.
      CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
      Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
      RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
      GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
      PSU: Thermaltake 500w
      SC: Audigy 2 zs
      LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
      Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
      Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

well.....I've heard that most of the new lcd monitors that r out now r good enough 4 gaming.....especially with all the ghosting, blurs, & the very good high response times....but the reason I'm asking is b/c I'm gonna be going 2 a lot of lan parties now & I'm sick & tired of carrying my crt monitor...not sayin I'm weak just hate doing 2 trips....anyways....I've been doing more research on the viewsonic lcds...& I've come 2 2 monitors that I've been looking @.....actually its 1 with 2 different versions of it......the viewsonic 19" vx924 & the 17" vx724.....I think I'm gonna go with the 17" b/c I heard both sizes have the same native res...where as if u have the 19" the pixels r bigger & the image quality decreases a bit......I'm not totally sure if that's true its just from what I've heard.....but I think since both have the same native resolutions & the exact specs then there's no point in spending an extra $100 just 4 the extra 2" inches.....I'm fine with 17" inches...plus it'll be easier 4 me 2 carry around :).....thanks 4 ur opinions!

Comment

Make sure you read lots of review on the monitor before you purchase. I'd recommend you read Anandtech LCD comparisons in particular, because they go incredibly in-depth. In any case, you should be prepared to spend quite a bit of money just to get a decent LCD.

Comment

I would go with a samsung, or a dell lcd.

Comment

I have the ACER 1916W and it is an awesome gaming monitor. I play lots of HL2 and Colin Mcrae 2005 and have not seen ghosting or blurring. It really does an excellent job. The colors are more vivid than my CRT was and I love the widescreen format. You need to check around to see if the games you want to play are widescreen compatible or the graphics get slightly stretched to fit the screen. Look here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/

they have lists of games that are native to widescreen and how to fix games tha are not. I can very much state the ACER 1916W is an excellent LCD for gaming and general use, but I still suggest you check for other reviews and not just take my word for it. I got mine for $350 Canadian, so you should be able to get it for well under $400 US as well. And if you ask me, Samsung LCDs are way too overpriced. Dell's are nice and can be found on sale much cheaper than the Samsung.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
              Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
              Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate
              Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Samsungs, on newegg go on sale. =D
                They are usaully under 400 too.

Comment

wuddup guys!.....just wanted 2 say thank u 4 your opinions & that I bought myself a great monitor.....purchased the ACER 1916W 19" widescreen from PC Metro in T.O 4 $330 CAN!....the widescreen just looked 2 beautiful that I just had 2 buy it...especially with the price they gave it 2 me @....brought it over 2 my buddy's place 4 a LAN session with a couple of guys on the weekend......& it ran & looked great!.....especially when I played COD2, F.E.A.R, NFSMW, MOHPA & HALF LIFE 2 multi...also played some POPTTT...awsome game & great way 2 end the POP trilogy....the only game that didn't run & look well was QUAKE 4.....but still was playable...but who cares...already beat that game....hehehe.....oh ya....thanks CASECUTTER 4 the link 2 the widescreengaming site....REALLY HELPFULL MAN!...anyways thanks again & I'll message u guys 4 help again if needed....PEACE!

Comment

Working...
                  X