Hard Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive?

I'm looking for a harddrive with somewhere between 200 and 300 GB and from what I have read this is supposed to be a good hard drive.
    My concern is that I've read that at this point, if you're getting a new HDD, it should be ATA3.0Gb/s, while this one is only ATA150. Is this still okay? Because it almost seems contradictory for a magazine to say that you shouldn't get ATA150 then a few pages later review a ATA150 HDD as being one of the best / fastest 7200rpm harddrives theyve reviewed. So maybe I missed something along the line or what I'm talking about is in fact irrelavant which I guess is why I'm posting here.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Hard Drive?

There seems to be a little confusion regarding the mode. The hard drive you link to is a Serial ATA device, commonly abbreviated as SATA. The SATA technology is a good deal newer than the traditional ATA drives that have been used for many years now. Within this SATA technology are two standards. The older is SATA/150, which means that the bus the data is travelling is limited to the 150 MB/sec bandwidth available on motherboards that support this. The second variety is being dubbed SATA-II and they have effectively doubled the bandwidth of the data path. This doesn't mean that the drive will be twice as fast, but there is a good deal more highway for your data to travel, which should make a decent impact on overall performance. Of course, you will need either a motherboard that supports SATA-II or an adapter card that supports this type of device... which isn't that good a call since them nyou'll be utilizing a 300MB/sec drive on a 133MHz data path (the PCI bus).

As to your choice of Maxtor, I prefer to stay away from them as I've seen several die. Not quite as bad as the old IBM Deathstar fiasco, but not nearly as good as others on the market.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Ah. I see where I got confused now. Anyway, I'm not tied down to anything yet, so in that case is there any notable brand of HDD that you WOULD chose?
      I'm not really much for the small size of Western Digital's Raptor, although I did happen to read in another thread that Yawg says WD in general is indeed a good HDD brand..maybe I'll search around and see what I can find.

Comment

I've had good luck with both WD and Seagate. As for the Raptor drives, they are the high-end models with very high spindle speeds. They aren't necessary for a good system, but can be entertaining to play with. WD also makes SATA hard drives with a 8MB cache that are very good. The model number of these units end with "JB".
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

I'm looking for a 16MB cache, what do you say about this one?

Comment

Due to lack of arguments, I think I'm going to go with the one above. Thanks for the help though.

Comment

Working...
            X