Getting Laptop, should I got SATA or IDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Laptop, should I got SATA or IDE

I'm going to be picking myself up a new work laptop, but I'm unsure on the pros & cons of RAID on a laptop. I'm thinking RAID 1, but I have an option of (2) 60Gb 5400rpm SATA drives or (2) 60Gb 7200rpm IDE drives. The IDE option is more money, but that doesn't mean it's better.

What are the pros & cons of RAID 0 or RAID 1 on a laptop, besides the obvious? Any info would be great, thanks!

Re: Getting Laptop, should I got SATA or IDE

No hits huh? k...
    How about heat or power issues related to either-or?

Technology advancement makes me lean towards the SATA, for possible upgrades in the future... but it's a laptop, so upgrading a laptop doesn't happen as much.

Comment

For laptops, SATA vs. IDE and different types of RAID are barely an afterthought. If it's a 7200RPM IDE vs. a 5400RPM SATA, I'd take the IDE. SATA does increase performance significantly, but not as much as a 7200RPM HDD. If you actually have a good reason for RAID 1, then go for it, we can't really help you there. But if you don't actually have to have redundancy so there's little chance of you losing hard drive data, it's not worth the money or performance loss.

Comment

Thanks Yawgm0th for the reply. I was just figuring because this laptop would cover 50% of my work that the redundancy could save me some headaches. But as long as I do backups to my main workstation between trips I should be good... I'll probably go RAID 0 (or AID, 'since there's no redundancy' as our IT guy says) with the IDE drives, thanks.

Oh, and the reason I'm getting more opinions on the subject is because I'm actually going to be leaving my current job and starting my own business. So I don't want to ask too many questions ;)

Comment

Well good luck in your future venture then. =)
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Working...
          X