Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in the new stuff...

Hey guys!

I got back to watching computer hardware (I didn't go on this site for a year) because I will eventually want to buy myself a new comp. I'd like to know what is good now (like if I had 2000$ what should I buy for a nice gaming system that is OC-able). I'd like to know what is comming soon (like the dual core procesror I just saw on another thread).

I just want to have a starting point to know what is good.

Re: Lost in the new stuff...

You'll want an AMD system for sure, much better for gaming than Intel. Dual cores are coming out soon, however, AMD's "gaming" CPU will still be the FX series which will stay single core for a few years. Games are single thread and will not see any improvement with a dual core system.

There are new AMD cores which are the one to get, someone with more AMD experience will chime in I'm sure.

I just built my first AMD system and, based on reviews, went with a 3800+ socket 939, Asus A8N SLI NF4, a gig of OK PC-3500 and a 6800GT.

I should have saved some $$$ and went with a different CPU and OCd it(I have water cooling), gotten the DFI NF4 board and spent more $$ in the RAM with better timings/OC potential.

Comment

Yes you deffinatly want to go with AMD on this one.

If you are gonna spend $2000+ get yourself a DFI NF4 SLI (or Ulrta-D if you dont want SLI)
      If you want a very overclockable CPU get one of the new Venice core Athlon 64's, if not a Windchestor will do just fine. I reccomend a 3000-3200 as you'll probably get the same OC out of it as you would a 3500.

Now the fun part :D
      If you chose the NF4 SLI then you might want to think about using it, using dual 6800GT's that system would rock pretty much everything, quite a bit more costly though(and if a monitor and other accesories are part of that budget then SLI is probably not an option) A single 6800GT or Ultra would be great.

You would want a fairly heafty PSU aswell, I am picking up a OCZ Powerstream 520 tomorrow or the day after, but it is rather expencive again, a Thermaltake Butterfly 480 would be good for a single GPU setup, if you go SLI however you may consider a 550 or even 600W power supply from Thermaltake, Antec, OCZ, I've heard the new Zalman ones are good, there are others too, I just cant remember them all right now.

Pretty much any Hard drive will do fine, I suggest Seagate however because they have a 5 year warrenty. SATA would be the way to go, however I have had not to many good times with them in my machine(possably due to no clock locks on the SATA controlers on my motherboard....) Personaly I'm stickin with IDE for now.

I was going to suggest the Crucial Balistix PC3200 but things have changed since they came out, and if you decide on getting a Venice then you will probably want something better, I will leave it up to the others to suggest some memory, good luck ;)

Comment

OCZ VX for overclockable memory. If you wait until later this year, dual core Athlon 64 X2 4800. Otherwise, AMD man pretty much said what I would have.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
          OCZ VX for overclockable memory. If you wait until later this year, dual core Athlon 64 X2 4800. Otherwise, AMD man pretty much said what I would have.
          Or, just get a 4400+ and overclock it by 10%.

Comment

Originally posted by sr4470
            Or, just get a 4400+ and overclock it by 10%.
            Shhhhh....

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
              Shhhhh....
              Whats the matter?

Comment

Working...
              X