Help/Ideas on Upgrading old computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/Ideas on Upgrading old computer

I currently have a Compaq 6019WM. It has a Compaq 0784h mobo w/400MHz bus clock, 256MB PC2100 memory, 1.60GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor, Western Digital 40GB Ultra ATA-100 HD (right off I can't remember the RPM, but do know it's under 7200), NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics, and SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. I want to upgrade this computer I just recently bought a very nice computer for just playing games on, but my husband took it over. So now I am hoping to upgrade this computer so that I might be able to run some games (mostly Diablo II, World of Warcraft, Everquest, and Final Fantasy XI) on it, but don't want to spend too much. This computer will mainly be used for surfing the internet, checking email, and running MS Office 2003 Professional (school work) by myself and my children, but I would also like to be able to play some games on it since I now realize I'm not going to be able to on my other computer. My main problem is trying to figure out what is compatible with my mobo. I mostly want to upgrade my video card and memory, but would like to consider upgrading the processor and HD if possible. Can I install PC2700 or, preferably, PC3200 memory on this mobo? I want to stay under $500 (preferably $300 or below) since I am tight of funds after buying our newest computer. Currently this computer seems to take forever to open programs and perform basic tasks (could be because I've gotten use to our other computer) and tends to be a bit on the noisy side. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Help/Ideas on Upgrading old computer

If you want a system ram upgrade, I'd just add more 266 MHz PC2100 DDR Dram and keep your existing Ram module. Upping your ram speed in that system won't help much.

Looks like you could upgrade your CPU to a 2.2GHZ Max, judging by a system similar to yours without the WM (Wal-mart) HP\Compaq model number. That would help some, but would be a fairly spendy upgrade. I'm guessing around $110 at Newegg.com.

Putting an ATI Radeon 9550 video card in would be a fairly nice upgrade for around $60, unfortunatly your AGP port only supports 4X speed but thats not a big deal, when you buy a Compaq system your lucky you even get an AGP port on your mainboard. I wound'nt get a real badass videocard for your system or you will need a bigger Powersupply unit than your Compaq Steady-state 235 watts to keep it stable.

With the CPU upgrade and graphics card you could play the games mentioned above with ease but WOW is fairly new and you might be using a lower setting for that one, not sure about FFXI either, but you could easily play them both at lower settings possibly more, everything else you mentioned would run very good. 512 Mb of system Ram would be nice if your system has less than that, looks like you only have 256mb unless you've already upgraded in the past.

Link to your system specs. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00009559
    Last edited by Spongebob; 02-10-2005, 07:52 PM.

Comment

As I was looking at my computer more last night, it appears that I will probably need to get a bigger hard drive. Currently, as mentioned above, I have a 40GB Ultra ATA-100. The problem is it appears I only have 7GB of memory left on it and I still haven't installed WOW (about 3-4GB) and FFXI (not sure how many GB that one needs). If I'm not mistaken getting a SATA hard drive would be pretty much a waste of money with my current computer, is that correct? Would I be able to upgrade my HD to a 7200 RPM. I believe I can, but want to make sure. I do not think, if I remember correctly, that there is room to add an additional HD, so this one will be replacing my current one (I hope I can find all my installation disks for the programs already installed).

Comment

You can get 80GB and 120GB hard disks for fairly low prices now, and you shouldnt be running out of space on those, from the uses you've mentioned. Go with Seagate (Barracuda) or Maxtor (Diamondmax Plus 9), ATA133, 8mb cache, 7200rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by autumnwings
          As I was looking at my computer more last night, it appears that I will probably need to get a bigger hard drive. Currently, as mentioned above, I have a 40GB Ultra ATA-100. The problem is it appears I only have 7GB of memory left on it and I still haven't installed WOW (about 3-4GB) and FFXI (not sure how many GB that one needs). If I'm not mistaken getting a SATA hard drive would be pretty much a waste of money with my current computer, is that correct? Would I be able to upgrade my HD to a 7200 RPM. I believe I can, but want to make sure. I do not think, if I remember correctly, that there is room to add an additional HD, so this one will be replacing my current one (I hope I can find all my installation disks for the programs already installed).

Can you use a Sata drive? Probably not.
          You might want to run a program like CPU'Z and see if you can find additional information on your mainboard, like does it support sata drives and also what pin count your CPU socket is if your planning on upgrading your CPU. HP does not give out much info on the mainboards they slap into their systems, but you would possibly be able to find the information you need with the model number of your mainborad and a Google search.

Would I be able to upgrade my HD to a 7200 RPM? Yes.
          You can put in another IDE harddrive with the 7200 RPM speed, accually any internal IDE Drive would be fine. You can easily mount the drive in any 3.5" drive bay in your case or a 5.25" bay if your drive comes with mounting brackets.

Heres the system requirements for those games you mentioned and the least amount of available harddrive space you need.

World Of Warcraft (MINIMUM) system requirements. PIII 800, 256MB RAM, 4GB HDD, 32MB video card.

FFXI (MINIMUM) system Requirements= PIII 800, 128MB RAM, 32MB Video card, 600MB HD.

Maybe you could simply clean up your old harddrive or format it, reinstall Windows and start from a clean slate instead of buying a new harddrive, unless your planning on keeping a bunch of stuff on it, then more storage space is the answer........
          That 7200RPM speed vs. 5400 RPM will hardly be noticable while playing games. You will be sadly disappointed if you think it will even make a noticable difference.
          On the other hand upgrading the CPU and video card (BOTH) will make a very noticable improvement difference. But your looking at around $170 U.S. to do it and maybe buying or building a better system might be more desirable to you for long term use.

Comment

Working...
          X