Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

finally gonna buy new comp, any more advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally gonna buy new comp, any more advice?

This is what i'm planning to order first thing next week:

Mobo: DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz OEM, winchester 90nm
    RAM: OCZ 1024MB Dual Channel Platinum Ed. R-2
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Silent Boost K-8
    PSU: Thermaltake 560W Silent PurePower

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB S-ATA 8MB cache 7200RPM NCQ x 2
    (Alternative HDD setup: 1 x seagate 250gb 7200.8 ncq )
    (Alternative HDD setup: 2 x Raptors 74 gb )

Case: Silverstone SST-TJ05B-T Miditower
    Graphics: XFX GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB PCIe Retail
    Optical: Plextor DVD-brenner PX-716A
    Monitor: Samsung 21" CRT SyncMaster 1100 DF

Arctic Silver 5

I'm not 100% certain though and would like some input yet again. I asked similar questions a couple months ago and got great answers. But the money that was needed was used on moving and furniture, but I have cash again now.

I think that this is an ok setup. It will be mostly used to gaming so thats my main concern.

I also noticed that some HDD had NCQ after them, what i found out about that is that had somthing to do with Intel, so can I use it with an amd processor? also is there a difference between 7200.7 and 7200.8 when it comes to seagate drives. how do they compare the WD drives?

All in all i want this is system to be pretty powerful and silent, how good will all this work?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

//Sthorm

Re: finally gonna buy new comp, any more advice?

NCQ - Native Command Queuing, but to be honest its not that big of a deal.

Comment

ok, what about the mobo? I just find out the netshop only have 1 left and it seems those mobo's are hard to come by. Is it a good one? how does it compare to the gigabyte or asus or the msi versions?

Comment

It is definatly my faverity board(based on reviews) then the Gigabyte, all of them are more than deciant... However the Asus had some problems that were reciently fixed with numerous bios updates. Any of those boards would be wonderful, go with the DFI if you can get your hands on it, then Gigabyte if the DFI is not an option.

Comment

This system looks pretty good. It will perform great, overclock great, be fairly quite. If the video card is load, you may consider getting an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5, which will cool the card better and be completely silent.

Comment

Ok, thats what i've been considering. Buying that silencer 5 (the one for gt-cards right? that will fit even if its a pci-e slot?), and 2 120mm papst 18 db fans and maybe a an 80mm quiet fan and connect them to the fan/thermal controller that comes with the case.

Only thing its that i've heard that that silencer just aint that silent... and i still need to track down that alcohol ;)

Also, getting a raptor for OS and games is just a waste of money right? sata should do fine, at least imo. and from what i've heard... raptors arent very quiet either.

Comment

Not sure how the Silencer fits with PCI-E slots. I bet it'll work, though. It might have trouble with SLI, but even that's a might. I haven't used that specific Silencer, but I would be suprised if it were audible in anything but a watercooled system (which would likely have a waterblock for the GPU, anyway). I had the original "VGA Silencer" which was only for 9800 Pros and it was completely inaudible in my fanless system.

As for the Raptors, it's up to you. I think using a Raptor for much of anything is a waste of money. If you like decreased loading times, sure, get one or two or however many you want, but I'd recommend you save your money.

Comment

Working...
              X