Gaming system advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming system advice

I'd like to get a computer soon, capable of playing games like VTMB and half-life 2. I've come to the conclussion that AMD make better gaming CPUs than Intel. I've got a system in mind -- http://www.pluscorp.com.au/Configura...gurationID=204 -- but I'm not sure what video card to buy. I'd like to use the SLI feature later when I can scrounge up some more cash, but I'd like a fairly good video card to begin with.

I've got the software organised with a different company.

Please feel free to edit the configuration and any advice would be welcome.

Re: Gaming system advice

Originally posted by MeMiMo
    I'd like to get a computer soon, capable of playing games like VTMB and half-life 2. I've come to the conclussion that AMD make better gaming CPUs than Intel. I've got a system in mind -- http://www.pluscorp.com.au/Configura...gurationID=204 -- but I'm not sure what video card to buy. I'd like to use the SLI feature later when I can scrounge up some more cash, but I'd like a fairly good video card to begin with.

I've got the software organised with a different company.

Please feel free to edit the configuration and any advice would be welcome.
    Maybe your in some other part of the world but
    Wow! That looks spendy! The 6600GT video cards are suppose to be a good bargain, and I think they all have SLI. I like the features on the new ATX 12v V2.0 PSu's better than what your thinking about, just bought one for my new system. Are the BenQ monitors suppose to be good?
    Last edited by Spongebob; 01-14-2005, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I'd suggest one of the 550+ watt PSUs from Antec or Thermaltake. They're a must if you're going to be overclocking and still a good idea for any SLI system.

Get a GeForce 6800GT for your video card. When you're ready for SLI, get a second one. You can also just get a plain GeForce 6800 (which may be easier to find in PCI-E anyway), or you could even get a 6600GT (though I'd recommend at least a 6800). Just make sure the second card, when you get it, is identical to the first, or else SLI will most likely not work.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. The GeForce 6800GT seems to be a bit difficult to get in Australia, so I'm looking at the PX6600GT. I can get one for about $370 -- the only 6800 I saw was like $700, which is out of my league.

Are BenQ monitors good value/quality?

I'm also wondering how to shave a few dollars off the price, anything superfluous there? I definately need to keep it under $3000, but $2500 was what I was aiming at.
        Last edited by MeMiMo; 01-14-2005, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I'll refer you to this regarding LCD monitors, though I'd suggest you stick with CRT to save money, unless you need more space or portability. Any 19 inch CRT capable of running at 1600x1200 with 72HTz or greater will suffice.

Other than the monitor, I don't see much you could cut. You could go for an nForce 4 Ultra board and forget SLI entirely, but I think that would be a bad decision for a machine of this budget.

Comment

Working...
          X