Hardware questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware questions

I plan on building another computer soon and would like some input on the peices i have chosen:

ASPIRE X-Infinity Black
    ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" nForce2 Ultra 400
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache
    Arctic Silver 5, 3.5-gram
    Thermaltake SILENT BOOST
    Corsair Value Select Dual Kits 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200
    Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive
    SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 128MB
    Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive
    1x 80mm Case fan
    1x 120mm case fan

I would like to spend less than $700, but possibly $750 if it is worth it. I just need to know if any of these have aparent problems or if there is anything that is a beter bang for the buck? And another question, on that Infinity case, it has room for 3, 60mm fans; and 1, 120 mm fan correct? And it comes with 2, 60mm led fans? Thanks

Re: Hardware questions

You can get much better for $700 U.S.

Chaintech VNF3-250
    Athlon 64 2800 (retail, get an OEM and a HSF if you plan to overclock)
    Arctic Silver 5
    Thermaltake 420W PSU (get the Aspire if you want, but don't get it for that PSU)
    Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16
    80GB Western Digital SATA HDD (Raptors are just silly for a system on this budget)
    Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed 512MB PC3200 (don't bother with getting 2x256; socket 754 Athlon 64s won't do dual channel)

Now here comes the hard part. You can fit a Radeon 9800 Pro along with a decent case and CPU HSF and be around your max budget. However, I would recommend trying to fit a GeForce 6800 into the budget. That may mean getting some $80 CAS 2.5 value RAM along with a cheap, but good case. It may mean sticking with a retail CPU, or even getting an IDE HDD isntead of SATA (losing some speed and saving aorund $10). But, it will all be worth it, both in the long run and right away. That card would perform more than twice as well as the 9800 Pro you can afford, and a 9600XT is out of the question in a computer this expensive because it's basically the bottom of the mid-range cards (basically, it sucks at this point).

Of course, if you actually meant Canadian prices or even Australian or something else (I'm assuming you didn't), then just change the 9600XT to a 9800 Pro, the HDD to an 80GB, the Barton 2500 to a Mobile Barton 2500, get a PSU on top of whatever case you get (unless the case is from Antec or Thermaltake), and cut the excess case fans if money is an issue.

Comment

wow, thank you very much, Im going to go with what you said. With everything it comes out to $787 with shipping at Newegg. Anyone have anything else to add?

Comment

Does dual channel really hurt the performance of the A64s? Are you doing any overclocking? Hardcore gaming?

Comment

Originally posted by T Bell
          Does dual channel really hurt the performance of the A64s?
          Dual channel memory on A64 adds 5% on average performance increase over most benchmarks (sometimes more and sometimes less) so I guess it will depend you whether 5% more is worth the extra costs involved to get it. ;)

Comment

It's out of the question for this system. A socket 939 would be much more expensive, video card or not.

Athlon 64s are also the only choice for hardcore gaming, in this country, anyway. They also overclock pretty well, too. They'll gain a larger advantage from clock speed increases than Athlon XPs and Pentium 4s (and just about anything else).

Comment

Yep, s939 is certainly expensive right now but that is because it is still new. But it is also the upcoming standard so you can either invest now or get a s754 to play with until prices start working down more. They're already beginning to drop. As an example, the FX53 processor has dropped well over $100 in the past couple of weeks. Give it time and it will be just as popular as the s462 used to be.
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

Go ahead and get the Asrock K8N Combo-Z motherboard and test it out for us. It uses both s754 & s939. I am tempted but will wait to see how it is as far as stability and overclocking goes.

Comment

I wouldn't even consider it until a good review is done on it (the OCworkbench review is one POS article). Stick with the Chaintech unless you want to risk getting something that could be a lot worse for around the same price.

Comment

I tweaked the parts a little and got the price down, here she is:

ASPIRE X-Dreamer
                    Thermaltake Silent PurePower 420W
                    5x SPEEZE 80mm Clear Crystal Case Fan
                    CHAINTECH "VNF3-250" nForce3
                    AMD Athlon 64 2800+
                    Arctic Silver 5
                    Thermaltake Venus 12
                    Corsair XMS Extreme Memory 512MB PC-3200
                    Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA
                    SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
                    Lite-On Black 52X32X52X16

741 with shipping.

Comment

There's still a 9800 Pro...

If money is an issue, you still have a lot of ways you can cut price. Again, you can get much cheaper RAM that won't perform much worse. You can still get a cheaper case. The HSF isn't really necessary. The fans aren't that great (I have one, and trust me, 5 will be noticably loud) and just add to the price.

Trust me, you want at least a GeForce 6800 for this.

Comment

Ok, this now raises four questions. One, would two 256 sticks work better than a single 512? Two, what fans do you recommend, I plan to slightly oc, so i need some air flow? Three, how many fans? Four, what is the best HSF for under like $35?

thanks.

Comment

One: Not really, and 512MB gives you more room for RAM in the future
                          Two: you should get a case that comes with two or three fans and not buy any extras, but the Speeze will do fine if you just buy a couple.
                          Three: Maybe 5 total, but 3 will be more than enough. Don't go crazy about it.
                          Four: Probably the Thermaltake Venus 12.
                          Last edited by Yawgm0th; 09-16-2004, 10:01 PM.

Comment

heres the case:

and link: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...factory=BROWSE

It has room for the 2 in the back, 1 on top, 1 on the side panel, and 1 in front. It comes with a fan on top and on the side. I was gunna get 3 more and replace the stock one on top blowing in so it goes directly to the PSU. Put one in back blowing out, and replace the one on the side blowing in on the cpu. and the whaever with the extra 2 stock ones.

What 512 stick would you recomend? something like the corsair value select?
                            Last edited by Nessumsar; 09-16-2004, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Go ahead and leave the fans already included in place. They look to be lighted anyway so will give your enclosure a more personalized touch. You can just do a couple of fans, one intake for the front and one exhaust for the rear.

Oh, and don't even think of using the top fan for intake. Heat rises so let nature work for you instead of against you. The top fan is made for exhausting heated air, leave it.

As to the memory, even the Corsair value select is decent so yes, it would work for you.
                              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                              My Toys

Comment

Working...
                              X