Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im goin to build a gaming system but i need some help what i need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: im goin to build a gaming system but i need some help what i need?

here what i got now and u think the motherboard and cpu will be fine for gaming the ones i got in the list, but how many fans can i put in this to keep it cool

Case: RAIDMAX Black 10-bay Case, Model "268WBP" -RETAIL $26.00

Power Supplies: Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W ATX power supply.UL, CSA, TUV, CE Approved. Intel Pentium 4 Compliant $36.00

CD/DVD: Sony DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive (Black), Model DW-D18A, OEM $76.00

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail $175.00

Motherboard: CHAINTECH "VNF3-250" nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL $75.00

Video Card: ATI AIW RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/CATV/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO" -RETAIL $275.00

Harddrive: Seagate 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model ST3120026AS, OEM $90.49

Memory: Mushkin Blue Line 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail $92.00

third-party heat sink: Thermaltake SilentTower 4 in 1 CPU Cooler for Intel P4 478 & Socket T, AMD K7 & K8, with Heatpipe Cooling, Model "CL-P0025" -RETAIL $44.99

Comment

Off the top of my head, I believe the case comes with two fans and has room for five more.

That motherboard and CPU will be fine for gaming, but that video card is just a waste of money. The X800 Pros I listed have most of the same stuff (they just don't have AIW in the name). They are just a lot more expensive (about $140 more for the Elsa). They're worth the money for gaming. The 9800 Pro is barely a mid-range card these days; you don't want it for this system. If it's just TV-out you want, the GeForce 6800 I listed has TV-out and is the same price. If you need DVI and VIVO, the Elsa X800 Pro is perfect for you. If it means you have to cut the cooler, downgrade the RAM a bit (I can find much cheaper stuff that isn't much worse), and go down to an A64 2800 instead of a 3000 just to afford it, do it. An AIW 9800 Pro for that price is just a waste of money.

Comment

does this look better setup for gaming? do i need to add anything esle?

Power Supplies: Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W ATX power supply.UL, CSA, TUV, CE Approved. Intel Pentium 4 Compliant $36.00

Motherboard: CHAINTECH "VNF3-250" nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL $75.00

Video Card: ELSA ATI RADEON X800 PRO Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "FALCOX X80 PRO ViVo" -RETAIL $410.00

Harddrive: Seagate 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model ST3120026AS, OEM $90.49

third-party heat sink: Thermaltake SilentTower 4 in 1 CPU Cooler for Intel P4 478 & Socket T, AMD K7 & K8, with Heatpipe Cooling, Model "CL-P0025" -RETAIL $44.99

Comment

Just to be safe, get this Thermaltake 280W PSU. I know I said the 420W would be enough, but you might need more, and it's likely you will if you ever upgrade this in the future.

Otherwise, it looks good. That will be an amazing gaming rig. The only things that would be worth changing are the drives, and if you need a dual-layer DVD burner and 120GB of HDD space, it's fine. Also, you don't need a floppy drive, do you?

Comment

Semprons are not 64bit, defeating the entire purpose of going 64bit. And are generally a bad idea even for socket a.
            athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
            tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
            asus a7n8xe-dlx
            thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
            bfg 6800gt
            seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
            samsung dvdrw
            2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
            logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
            2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
            creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
            mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
            DFI infinity nf4 ultra
            thermaltake tsunami dream -black
            seagate sataII 500gb
            evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
            samsung sata dvd-rw
            2x1024 ocz black
            logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
            ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Originally posted by maximus7001
              Semprons are not 64bit, defeating the entire purpose of going 64bit. And are generally a bad idea even for socket a.
              No one said Semprons were 64 bit, and you are wrong on both other accounts. Socket A (and even socket 754, I suppose) Semprons perform quite well for the price (and Bartons have increased in price too much at this point), and are cool and quite with the stock cooler and thermal compound. But that's irrelevant, in this case. The socket 754 Sempron 3100 performs right where it should for its price. The tremendous performance advantage of Athlon 64s does not come from them being 64 bit. In fact, that provides no performance increase without 64 bit software (with Windows XP 64 bit and Longhorn still far from completion...). The performance is from the on-die memory controller and HyperThreading. The Sempron 3100 performs less and costs less than an Athlon 64 2800 because it only has 256KB of L2 cache. This will make very little difference in some situations (3 FPS in Doom 3, for example), a noticable one in others, and a huge difference in other areas. Whether or not someone goes with one should depend on their budget, but it's certainly worth the money to get an Athlon 64 for both cache and the 64 bit (although there may end up being a mod to turn socket 754 Semprons into 64 bit processors in the future) if you use 64 bit software or for the future when Windows becomes more readily available in 64 bit versions. The purpose of getting an Atlhon 64 is not "going 64 bit (unless you actually will make use of it)." This common misconception has driven so many people to think that going Athlon 64s is unwise because there might be problems or whatever with "going 64 bit." The point is to get a faster processor. The Sempron 3100 does just fine for its price. But that's all irrelevant, since he's clearly not getting a Sempron of any sort.

Comment

Yawgm0th,no im not goin to put in a floppy drive

macimus7001, learn to read, i dont got anything in the list with any semprons hardware lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ghetto2k4
                  here is the hardware that i pick out so far, let me know if i need too add anything esle to the list

Case: RAIDMAX Black Aluminum Gaming Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "668WBP" -RETAIL ($78.99)

CPU: AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8GHz, 256KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor - OEM $123.00

Motherboard: MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL $149.00

Video Card: ATI AIW RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/CATV/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO" -RETAIL $275.00

Harddrive: Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y120P0, OEM Drive Only $86

Memory: Kingston HyperX Series Dual Kits 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-2700 $121.00

You have some nerve lol'ing at me, you have a sempron s754 in your list and a s939 mobo to go with it. And it seems to me that it would be taking a step backwards as far as technology goes. And yawg, I don't know what planet you are on, I certainly would not pay more for less or make a customer pay more for less either. I get xp's for less than semprons. eg. the xp2500's I use for builds cost me $102cdn and using sempron 2500's would cost $115cdn. The prices may have changed in some places but not all yet.
                  athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                  tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                  bfg 6800gt
                  seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                  samsung dvdrw
                  2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                  logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                  2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                  creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                  mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                  DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

maximus7001, LOL u are dum!!!! u dont sound like u know how to build a pc so..dont help me plz!!!

Yawgm0th, thx for your help u think that all i need for a good gaming system then??

Comment

He's not dumb, but I guess prices are different in Canada. Over here, Semrons are cheaper than their Barton equivlents.

Yes, that's all you need for a good gaming system. When it starts to get behind technology, you can upgrade it pretty far without even replacing the motherboard.

Comment

Yawgm0th, ok cool, thx for your help =), u are the best lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ghetto2k4
                          How about this setup is it a good running gaming system? and i want a fast video card the one i pick dont look good but i want tv out and that other stuff on the video card too just like that one i pick out

Harddrive: Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y120P0, OEM Drive Only $86

This is a very nice gamer..... I would make the following changes.....

Motherboard = Asus A7V600 ( SATA Compatable ) $80.00
                          and a WD SATA Raptor $135.00 ( 36 Gb )
                          The 2 main reasons would be the seek times and transfer rates on the Raptor. The seek time is 4.3 vrs 12.8 and the transfer is 180 Mb/sec vrs 135 Mb/sec IDE
                          I have never used the CHAINTECH "VNF3-250 ( it is also SATA compatable ) is the only reason I suggest the Asus...... I really think that choice is very very close kinda like people arguing over a Ford or a Chevy.... both great just a matter of taste

Comment

No, the Chaintech is a much better motherbaord. Check the Anandtech roundup of socket 754 mothrboards. Motherboards are rarely a matter of taste. Even cars use different parts, have different features, different speeds, rates of acceleration, etc.

The hard drive is a waste of money. You can get more space and speed for less money by running multiple 7200RPM in a RAID 0 array or by putting the paging file, operating system, and programs on seperate drives. But space is the real issue. I doubt that 36 GB is even close to enough space for most gamers. I have well over that much in games alone, and there's also an operating system, paging file, and tons of other files to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by deliduck
                              This is a very nice gamer..... I would make the following changes.....

Motherboard = Asus A7V600 ( SATA Compatable ) $80.00
                              and a WD SATA Raptor $135.00 ( 36 Gb )
                              The 2 main reasons would be the seek times and transfer rates on the Raptor. The seek time is 4.3 vrs 12.8 and the transfer is 180 Mb/sec vrs 135 Mb/sec IDE
                              I have never used the CHAINTECH "VNF3-250 ( it is also SATA compatable ) is the only reason I suggest the Asus...... I really think that choice is very very close kinda like people arguing over a Ford or a Chevy.... both great just a matter of taste
                              Seeing as the processor in question is a s754 Athlon 64 3000+ why are you recommending a socket A mainboard?

Comment

Working...
                              X