Which AMD with what mobo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely nothing!

The CNR slot is a non-standardized slot that is designed for OEM folks to add a modem/LAN type appliance there. But since there is no industry standard, you're pretty much out of luck unless the mainboard manufacturer puts out a device to go there.

Oh... choose a different cooler. The one you linked to sucks. Since you're spending so much money on a new system, don't skimp on the cooling. It will only cost you more in the long run... and more so if you have plans of overclocking in your future.

Thermaltake, OCZ, Dr Thermal... these are all good coolers. There are others that are good too (Alpha, GlobalWin, etc), so choose something that is quality. Not only will it keep your processor cooler, it will also make it last longer and even help you get higher speeds when overclocking.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

What about a GLOBALWIN's TAK68 CPU Heatsink(44 Vertical fins-22 on each side.) with TWIN Ballbearing Fans( One on each side of the heatsink($24) or a GLOBALWIN's CAK-II 38 CPU Heatsink & Dual Ballbearing Fan($31)

(Second last and last from the bottom)

or (when they restock)

Thermaltake VOLCANO 7 Variable Fan Speed Control. Retail. For INTEL Socket 370 & AMD Socket 462 ($25)

(very bottom)

Thank You Darthtanion, I dont want to make a dumb mistake like frying my cpu.

Comment

You probably wouldn't fry it, but you would shorten it's life by a good bit I'm guessing.

As for your choices, the CAK-38 will be on the loud side.

The TAK-68 is a good bit quieter, but isn't designed for the hardcore overclocking. If you don't plan on getting real aggressive with your clock speeds, then it should work pretty good. I reviewed it recently, so check out the heatsink reviews here on the site.

If you want to go for the Thermaltake unit, then get the newer Volcano 7+ version. The original Volcano 7 had a fan that decided for itself what speed it needed to run at, and it wasn't a very good guesser. The newer 7+ model lets you adjust the fan speed yourself by means of a small toggle switch that has three speed settings. I reviewed both of them as well, so you can check out how they fared against the competition.

Can't say a lot on the CAK unit since I didn't test that one. :)
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

awsome, thanks a lot.

Comment

I decided to get 2 of these instead of the 1 8cm with a built in heat sensor. (besides, these ones match my mobo ;) )
            Enermax Adjustable 8CM cooling fan. Manual adjustable fan speed, 1000 RPM ~ 3000 RPM. 2-ball-bearing clear fan, chromed fan guard, 3pin to 4pin adaptor. Retail Box

I was going to go for a GLOBALWIN's TAK68 CPU Heatsink(44 Vertical fins-22 on each side.) with TWIN Ballbearing Fans( One on each side of the heatsink.) I wont be overclocking agressively, for a while, if at all.

Comment

Your doing well for the first time flash. Those parts are going to be killer. My opinion from experience - get a case from local. They arent the greatest thing to have to pay shipping for and since its what you ave to look at everyday, pick one with some style (not that the one you picked didnt have style, i didnt look) sometimes web pics can be deceiving. I also have a good relationship with the local shops, so it may just be my situation that makes me want to buy locally.

You did a good job with the mobo, but read up on reviews on it to see exactly what your getting, so you can decide what you think. Everything else looks wonderfully in order. Great job, and good luck!

-------------

oh yeah and i'd go with the Vol 7+ becasue it just sounds cooler (pun intended)

Comment

The mobo i picked got very high marks from several sources. For example:
                AMD3D - http://www.amd3d.com/review/sl75drv4/index.htm#intro

Active-Hardware -
                If you have no knowledge about computer hardware, please, have a look at our article to find out why this needs to change as soon as possible.

RadiativeNZ -

PCWORLD -
                Comparison shop for in . See store ratings and reviews and find the best prices on with PriceGrabber's shopping search engine.

As far as cases go. The prices are about the same, with shipping included. As long as im ordering it all from the same source, it would be more convinient for me to just order a case.
                (eg newegg price for SX830 Workstation Tower Case-79.99+19.00 for shipping=98.00. compusa price for same case=99.00)

Comment

good question, cnr is a communication network riser. The board I am getting has a shared amr? Beats me what they are for. I eagerly await for an answer too.

Comment

oops, sorry. Ignore this reply. I didn't finish reading the thread before replying.
                    Your know the old saying: Look before leaping

Comment

Working...
                    X