I had something like this in mind:

Cpu: Amd Athlon XP 3000+ 2.167GHz, 333MHz
    MBoard: EPoX 8RDA3+ nForce2 Ultra400
    HDD: Maxtor D-Max Plus 9 120GB 8MB 333MHz
    Memory: Corsair Value S PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB
    Graphic: Sapphire Radeon 9600XT Atlantis 128M DDR

I am not sure about the graphics but from what I've heard it's
    supposed to be one of the better.

getting the cheaper 2500 or 2800 barton (333) cores will help fit in the budget. They overclock very well too.
    As far as the memory goes, get 2 sticks of 256 and run them in dual channel mode. I personally use Kingston HyperX, but any quality memory is good. Some people may tell you to get 3500, which is OK if you can fit into budget :D
    HTH

Comment

I personally would wait and hold out a few more days if i were you. The new prescotts are going to be nicely budgeted and you will be able to get your hands on a nice 3.0 prescott for $218. about maybe $10 more than your barton. The prescotts are going to have a 1 mb cache and a 800mhz fsb. That will be a very nice value processor. They are releasing feb 2nd. Just my:2cents: I agree w/ kane on the dual channel though. Whether you go intel or not that will be your best bet. Wiggo has a 9600XT Sapphire and he says he loves his. This is all just my opinion however. This thread will prolly rain down with amd fan boys now. Keep in mind i have nothing against amd just trying to help ya out. As for a new motherboard i wouldn't know what to tell you to fit your budget to go with the prescotts because the only boards out are high end boards:( Good luck with building that system:D

Comment

Comment

newegg has a 9600xt with 650/400 :D

Comment

Working...
          X