• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amd system ideas....

hey d00ds...

i want to get a new amd system... so far, thinking of this:

xp 2800+
    asus a7n8x deluxe
    radeon 9600xt (or 9800xt if i can afford it)
    1gb corsair pc-3200 ram

what do you think?

Swap the board for either an NF7-S or Epox 8RDA3+. You shouldn't even consider anything else.

For the ram, get 2x512 HyperX PC3200 (KHX3200) or Mushkin Level 2 PC3200. They'll hit 220+ @ 2-2-2-5 without vmods.

Comment

If he's not into that stuff, it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sovereignty
        Swap the board for either an NF7-S or Epox 8RDA3+. You shouldn't even consider anything else.
        there is nothing wrong with the A7N8X Dx. It's a damn fine mobo and quite good for Overclocking as well. You may have a personal fondness for those 2 mobos, but they are certainly not the only 2 options.

Slick-O, your choices in hardware are just fine. With any luck you can get some great overclocks with it, if that's what your in to. If not, it's still a great selection of hardware.

Comment

If you do decide to go with the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, be SURE to get some good RAM for it!! TRUST ME ON THIS! I have a post in the motherboards section talking about all the bluescreens in win xp I got! They finally stopped when I exchanged my RAM for some other RAM at the store I bought it at! They say that you can even get CHEAP RAM for it and it works better than expensive RAM! (go figure!) You could have a great motherboard AND save yourself some bucks by getting the cheaper RAM! Also, GET A GIGABYTE!! You will need TWO of the EXACT SAME SIZE strips of DDR! What I would suggest is to get two strips of Samsung 512 mb each PC 2700 333mhz. The reason you want a GIG, is if you run the RAM in DUAL CHANNEL mode, 512 for each slot gives windows xp more room to operate than two sticks of 256 mb or 512 total! Your win xp will operate better if you use 1 gig in dual channel mode, but if you are not going to use dual channel, you can get whatever size you want! I currently have two samsung 512 mb (PC 2700 333mhz) sticks in slots 1 and 3 and it works great!
          Here are my specs:
          System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

But if he can get PC3200 and will overclock to 400FSB, its even better. Also, dont get the 9600xt. Get a 9800 or a 9800 Pro. Both of the 9800's spank the 9600 series, so if you can afford it, get one. Also, the 9800XT is a waste of money, its not much faster than the 9800Pro. Go to www.ati.com and do a product comparison to see the exact figures. Look at how many vertices or triangles they can render. Your system looks great otherwise, if you can afford it, def get 1GB of ram, as XP really takes off then. Good luck with the system building, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
              there is nothing wrong with the A7N8X Dx. It's a damn fine mobo and quite good for Overclocking as well. You may have a personal fondness for those 2 mobos, but they are certainly not the only 2 options.
              When it comes to overclocking they are.

But again like I said, that's not everyones thing.

Comment

Working...
              X