new hs/f for socketA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new hs/f for socketA

from the power supply ratings thread, i figured instead of going off topic, i'd start a new one

Originally posted by minibubba
    that depends on whether or not you want to replace the heatsink too. If not, then tell us what you are currently using. If you do want to replace the whole thing, then I'd recomend the thermaltake silent boost. It's very quite (rated @ 21 dBA) and does a decent job cooling (my OC 2100+ palamino never gets above 40 C with this HSF)
    currently it's a Tt volcano7
    i have it set to automatically speed up when the temp goes up
    so far, it's only been in the pc for less than 8 months and already the fan need replacing, i can hear it grind
    of course, it does run 24/7...

so what's better? replace the whole thing (but i like the color of the hs - nice blue, or do i just replace the fan?

ouch:
    just checking digidock app for the board (chaintech) sez here cpu is 67^C and fan is at 3068rpm, system at 31^C

:wow:

good idea starting a new thread :thumb:
    Originally posted by ct_
    ouch:
    just checking digidock app for the board (chaintech) sez here cpu is 67^C and fan is at 3068rpm, system at 31^C
    it sounds like your biggest problem is case cooling, assuming your room temp isn't too hot. pop off the side door, point a desk fan inside and see how much the temp drops. also, what TIM are you using? I can't remember if it was mentioned in the other thread.

now for your question: the v7 and v7+ use a 70mm fan, so it could be difficult to find a decent replacement for it. In fact, the v7 itself is a rather poor hsf imo. There are quite a few good hsf that will do a much better job cooling. But before you do that, you need to take a very serious look at your temps; 67 C is way to hot.

Comment

Actually the Volcano 7 uses an 80mm fan (actually a SMART FAN I) and I have one that's now fitted with a 50cfm Sunon fan which is good enough for the 1200MHz Duron that it's coolin' but ya could always drop a SMART FAN II (or similar high powered fan).
      The Volcano 7+ does use the 70mm fan though.

Comment

:confused: I thought the v7 used the 70 mm as well? oh well...

I still think you should swap the whole thing out for something better, and if you put a smartfan II on there it will be very loud, and I'm under the impression you want quiet, right?

Comment

Well at least with the SF II he'll effectively have a Volcano 9. :shrug:

Comment

Well, first, that's not even 6,000 hrs and that fan died: it's gotta be defective. Also, 67C is way to high, check your case cooling and thermal grease application. As for a new HSF, I'd recommend a CNPS7000A-Cu . They have gotten very good reviews and are known for being silent. Good luck, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

i would consider that CNPS7000A-Cu if i was doing a new build, but i already have everything in the case and i aint gonna take the entire thing apart to put that hsf in - it req. a backplate

"also, what TIM are you using?" - wazza TIM? i probably know, but for some reason it escapes me

this is a standard aluminum cheiftech case
              from top down:
              empty
              cdrw
              hdd
              dvd
              then both drive bays filled - lower one has a 80mm fan on it
              fan below that
              2 fans on back of case, and 2 in the psu
              so i think cooling the system isn't the problem - the drives don't get hot

yeah, quiet is good, not louder than what i have now and i don't OC so that's not an issue

:shrug:

Comment

Originally posted by ct_
                "also, what TIM are you using?" - wazza TIM? i probably know, but for some reason it escapes me
                TIM = Thermal Interface Material

it's the goop that goes between your CPU and HSF base

Comment

oh yeah, duh.. :P

artic silver 3, applied correctly of course

Comment

any other ideas??

:shrug:

Comment

Originally posted by ct_
                      i would consider that CNPS7000A-Cu if i was doing a new build, but i already have everything in the case and i aint gonna take the entire thing apart to put that hsf in
                      No need to take any stuff out, well maybe the power supply but no other stuff.. :)

Comment

Working...
                      X