What should i buy FIRST???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should i buy FIRST???

Well if you want to save money, you can buy a XP 2500+ and overclock it to 3200+ speeds. I would also get PC3200 memory instead of PC2700 because it is faster and is easier to overclock (as long as you get a good brand). This is what I have learned so far because I am looking to get a new system also.

Comment

with that video card, I don't think you have much to worry about. With your current setup you can upgrade the memory without immediatly upgrading the cpu. but if you upgrade the cpu, you will have to upgrade the memory as well. Mike2010 had a good suggestion: get a 2500+ and 2x PC3200 (or PC3500)

A 2500+ can usually OC to 3200+ level with ease if you use the right mobo. But in this case you should also consider upgrading to a mobo that supports a 400 mhz fsb, such as something with the nforce2 chipset (since you will have to push the fsb up to 200 (aka 400) to achieve a 3200+ lvl)

Comment

Comment

if you can't swap the mobo, then I'd still recomend the 2500+ but with PC2700 instead. But if you can only upgrade one at a time, then start with the RAM

but first check your mobo website to see if there is a bios update that will allow for compatibility with barton's

Comment

Yep, my mobo support barton:

Or just:

Thoroughbred (0.13u) 133/266MHz FSB

AthlonXP 1700+ 133 11 OK
            AthlonXP 1800+ 133 11.5 OK
            AthlonXP 1900+ 133 12 OK
            AthlonXP 2000+ 133 12.5 OK
            AthlonXP 2100+ 133 13 OK
            AthlonXP 2200+ 133 13.5 OK
            AthlonXP 2400+ 133 15 OK
            AthlonXP 2600+ 133 16 OK

Thoroughbred (0.13u) 166/333MHz FSB

AthlonXP 2800+ 166 13 OK

Barton (0.13u) 166/333MHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache

AthlonXP 2500+ 166 11 OK
            AthlonXP 2800+ 166 12.5 OK
            AthlonXP 3000+ 166 13 OK

So, Ram will give me better boost than a new CPU?

Barton is better than Thoroughbred all the way, right?
            Then I think that Barton AthlonXP 2800+ 166 12.5 is the best choice? Or there is not any difference with 2500+

Comment

Comment

of those 3 options, i would go with Kingston. It's a reliable brand, and at stock speeds you should be able to get great timings

generic would probably be fine in a non OC system, but since you are a gamer I wouldn't recomend it

Originally posted by Ricky1810
                So, Ram will give me better boost than a new CPU?

Barton is better than Thoroughbred all the way, right?
                Then I think that Barton AthlonXP 2800+ 166 12.5 is the best choice? Or there is not any difference with 2500+
                I said upgrade the RAM because you can't upgrade the cpu without also upgrading the memory as well. Memory alone wont give you a boost in performance, but you can upgrade that without upgrading the cpu at the same time. I was assuming that money was a factor, but if performance is the biggest thing, then get both the memory and cpu at the same time since you will need both to get the performance you want.

the only difference between the t-bred and the barton, is the baton has 2x the cache. remember the numbers are there for a reason; the 2600 is faster than the 2500 and the 2800 is faster than both (at stock speeds)

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba

the only difference between the t-bred and the barton, is the baton has 2x the cache.
                  What does it means?????

Comment

cache is small amounts of super-fast memory on the cpu used to store commonly used insructions. The barton core doubles the amount of cache that the t-bred core used, thus theoretically speeding up the cpu by allowing faster access to more commonly used instructions. This can have a big effect in games since the same insructions are used over and over again.

Comment

Comment

anytime

if it was me I would go ahead an by the RAM and then get the cpu when you've got the money. It's been my expience that RAM prices are flaky and never stay consistent; whereas cpu prices are always falling (at least here in the usa, i can't speak for other places) and with the release of the Athlon64/FX the price drop should become more dramatic in the near future (hopefully).

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X