which motherboard should i buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which motherboard should i buy?

hi, i've just bought a Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz 533Fsb (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=36048).
    So now i need to get a mobo. Theres so much to choose from, and i'm a bit green when it comes to hardware. this is what features i'ld like on the mobo: firwire, usb2, ddr(2700), serial ATA and be a socket 478.
    many thanks
    - Danster

Before I start, you did know that there is a 2.4c Ghz 800mhz FSB Hyperthreading processor that is a lot faster right?

The board I would recommend is the ASUS P4PE for that 533mhz chip. I would recommend though that you use the newer processor as it is only a few $ more and has tons more potential, especially with the 865/875 dual channel chipsets.

Comment

hi Soulburner
      i really didnt need to know that!!! i've literally just bought my cpu! nevermind...

thanks for the mobo recommendation. i'll go and check it out now.

cheers!:cheers:
      - D

Comment

Comment

hi,
          just been reading the reviews for the ASUS P4PE. I've got 2 USB ports and 1 firwire port built into my case. Can i plug these into the motherboard without needing to use the ports that are built into the mobo?
          also can i have a serial ATA hard disk, then with my other drives have them hooked-up using Ultra ATA? i read somewhere that this cant be done.
          many thanks
          - D

Comment

Originally posted by danster
            hi,
            just been reading the reviews for the ASUS P4PE. I've got 2 USB ports and 1 firwire port built into my case. Can i plug these into the motherboard without needing to use the ports that are built into the mobo?
            also can i have a serial ATA hard disk, then with my other drives have them hooked-up using Ultra ATA? i read somewhere that this cant be done.
            many thanks
            - D
            The Asus P4PE is the superceded 845 chipset and has been replaced by the 865/875 chipset. I suggest you forget about that Asus P4PE and buy a more recent release, which is backwards compatible with the 533FSB chip you bought and comes with better features.

The 865PE and 865G chipset feature a number of improvements over the 845PE and 845GE chipsets they replace, including an 800MHz front-side bus, a dual-channel memory controller with support for DDR400 memory, AGP 8X, Serial ATA, and Intel's Communication Streaming Architecture. This last feature, Intel CSA, allows mobo makers to hang an Intel Ethernet controller right off the north bridge for high-speed networking, including Gigabit Ethernet. link
            Bye bye 845PE.

Your case port connectors may not be compatible with the motherboard USB/Firewire headers though they can be modded to work.

Comment

These reviews are getting on a bit, dated from July but should give you an idea of what's what.
              The Springdale Showdown: 865PE
              3-Way i875P "Canterwood" Shoot-Out

I've noticed the Abit IS7, IC7-Max3 and Asus P4C800 series are popular on forums I tend to visit. The good thing about that is that there is plenty of feedback on common problems and solutions to fix them.

Comment

christ, theres so much to think about and take into account! i might just go into pc world and talk to someone face 2 face (then buy the mobo off the internet!)
                you guys have been very helpful and quick in replying.
                - danster

Comment

Just go and get ya self an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe (or cheaper P4P800) and latter when ya get sick of the performance of that 2.4B then ya can flog it of to someone else and then slide a 2.4C into it. :devil win

Comment

I agree. Very good and overclockable motherboard for not a lot of money, and you can always change processors later. I hit 290fsb on mine today, but not stable. I'm only running a $25 Aeroflow so you can't expect too much.

You can also utilize the dual channel memory feature speeding up your current setup.

Comment

hah! i've just canceled my order for that cpu. i'm now gonna buy the one you guys reccommended (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=47546).
                      does that change your opinion of what motherboard i should get? is there a motherboard where i can plug in the firewire and usb ports that are on my case straight into the motherboard?
                      - D
                      ps
                      thankyou so much for your help and advice. this is the best forum i've been on (and i go to a lot seeing as i'm a web designer!)

Comment

Asus P4P800 or Asus P4C800 is what you should get for a motherboard. And two identical sticks of pc-3200 or better rated memory. Then you'll see some serious speed that might blow ya pants off..! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by danster
                          (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=47546).
                          does that change your opinion of what motherboard i should get?
                          No, the motherboards suggested are good choices. I've not owned one but if I was in the market, I'd go the Abit IC7-Max3 or if you're on a budget, an Abit IS7 series. Have you seen this thread? ASUS P4P800 is a popular choice.
                          is there a motherboard where i can plug in the firewire and usb ports that are on my case straight into the motherboard?
                          Your case port connectors may not be compatible with the motherboard USB/Firewire headers though they can be modded to work. Google for information on your case model and desired motherboard for compatibility with front I/O ports. If you have problems and need local input, mosey on to the OCUK case forum.

Good decision on swapping for a better CPU. Nice that Ebuyer are accomodating.

Comment

thankyou all for your help. i've learnt so much from this thread alone. buying computer components is such a mine field! lots of parameters to consider. many thanks.
                            - Danster :cheers:

Comment

I don't recommend the IS7, as the P4P800 is the better 865PE chipset board.

Comment

Working...
                              X