Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which equipment would you use?

Dear Fellow Members,

I am seeking to build a computer/server and was given the following hardware as their recommendation.

Dual P-3, 1.4 gig, 512K processor
    Raid 5 scsi 2100s
    Intel Motherboard STL-2
    Intel Server Case SC-5000
    Memory 512 ECC Digital
    IBM 36 gig Hard Drive x 3

My question is that #1. With the new Abit KR7A- Raid Socket A DDR Motherboard and the AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.666GHZ), will it offer the same performance with half the price or should I consider other altenatives?

#2. With the recent posting of IBM GXP problems (one problem in which I have experienced first hand with) is it even gonna be worth the cost of the IBM hard drives since they are almost a $400 a piece? If so could someone elaborate more knowledge to me since I have been unable to find a reasonble explanantion to this problem.

P.S. Thumbs up to Cameron on the GXP problem.... a story well written.

Thanks in advance,

IMHO I would go with AMD (Either dual Athlon MP's or a single Athlon XP 2000+) depending on your requirements for this server. I have used the IBM drives and I have not had the problems alot of plp are having. I am not saying that they do not have problems cause I know they do. If you are uneasy in getting the IBM's may I suggest the Seagate drives. They are very fast and reliable for less money. Give me an idea of what this server will do and maybe I am help some more.

Comment

I agree with ne0z Athlons would be a bit better but, personnaly I perfer Pentiums. As of late however I have been looking at the
      Athlon reviews.

With the DDR Ram with the P4 currently I keep seeing reviews
      about the fact the Motherboards that allow DDR ram are slower
      then RD Ram motherboards for P4.

RD Ram would be good for a P4 much better then DDR..

You probably would get more performance out of a Athlon.

Comment

Working...
      X