New system I may build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New system I may build

I'm thinking about building myself my own PC for the first time. I've been looking at components for quite some time and I think I've got my system all set up. I just want to make sure everything will work together (it should) and that I'm not getting screwed on any prices. Here's what I'm thinking:

ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS1080AMG- with Antec Original TRUE 430W P4 Power Supply ATX12V Retail- $124.99

Case and good power supply for 124? Seems great to me.

ASUS Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron Processors, Model# P4G8X DELUXE Retail- $169.99

I've heard great things about this mobo. Compatible with the processor I want, so it should work. Price I'm not sure if it is good or not.

Intel Pentium 4 / 3.06GHz 512k 478 Pin Processor HT Technology- $372.00

The one thing I'm somewhat worried about price wise. Not sure if it should be lower, but then again it is a FAST processor.

KINGMAX Memory 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM- $65.00

Seems good to me.

Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM Hard Drive- $65.00

This is really all I need. I never use that much space, I have a 20 gig right now and only use 10.

Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW- $45.50

I saw a review of this somewhere, said it was great. Good price.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1- $143.00

I've got home right now. Is this one better? Is the price acceptable?

I'm also gonna put a Radeon 9700 pro in it which I already have. I shouldn't need a floppy drive for anything. Got monitor and all other stuff, mouse, keyboard, sound card. Am I being dumb and forgetting anything? No modem, I've got cable and the mobo said it has an ethernet. Any input/suggestions would be very good.

I would suggest getting a floppy drive even if u think u'll never need it, they're surprisingly useful at times, and u can get a cheap one for like 10-15 usd :thumb:

Comment

yeah that board is "nice" though lacks a few to me at least important features..depends if you use it though..namely I can't help noting the lack of an integrated RAID controller and there are merely 5 PCI slots onboard.. As far as gaming..the board is "ok" nothing more than that...compared to other boards that are currently outthere..mind you those cost a lot less than the one you want..One problem with the P4G8X is that alot of peeps have reported problems with it when using it in combo with a Radeon 9700Pro..so be warned about that...Might i suggest you look at this board the GA-8INXP it uses the same chipset..and it has the onboard raid chip and uses "six Dual Miracles". ..and Gigabyte is definatly a decent match compared to your choice... the boards ive used do the job aok..They only thing is pricewise.. you have to see if its within your budget

:cheers:

ps. get a floppy drive. you'd be surprised how those ol' buggers come in handy in an emergency :p

Comment

Kind of hard to tell if your prices are in line when there is no way to know what currency you are quoting. The $ symbol is used in many countries.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Sorry dawg, it is USD.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I threw in a floppy which was cheap, not a big deal at all. I took your advice serial and did the other motherboard. I don't want any problems going on with the video card. And the other mobo is only 20 dollars more, which isn't a big difference at all. It seems like a great mobo so I think I'll go with that. Thanks serial!

Comment

here to help :thumb:

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by theyneverknew
              I would suggest getting a floppy drive even if u think u'll never need it, they're surprisingly useful at times, and u can get a cheap one for like 10-15 usd :thumb:
              I second that, especially with newer motherboards, they find to get an BIOS update about once a month
              and you need floppy to flash it. :thumb:

Comment

if you're spending that much cash on a granite bay motherboard - why not spend the extra $10 for a canterwood (Asus P4C800)

....or if you want to save some $$'s have a look at at an i865 (springdale) motherboard - i 've seen the Abit, MSI & Soltek versions in stock in a few different places....springdale is still superior to granite bay

also, make sure you get a pair of matched dimms - not a single larger one - to take advantage of dual channel memory support

Comment

Working...
                X