About Trim in SSD raid 1 and Raid 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Trim in SSD raid 1 and Raid 0

Hi everyone, I have tried to find my answer on internet for almost a week but I can't find answer to it.

I have installed a computer using Gz-Z87X-ud5H motherboard.....and 2 X 512g Samsung 840 pro...

I would want to have trim enable in Raid 1, but doesn't matter how I do it, it doesn't seem to work (I use trimcheck-0.5)

so what I did is, I setup 200g in Raid 0, as system drive...and rest (376gX2) in raid 1....I installed windows 7 64bit..

After install all the bareminium drivers, I run the trimcheck-0.5....on the system drive (C drive in raid 0)
    it shows Trims is working.....

But in D drive, where raid 1 of 376g......even after wait for 5 min and reboot, the trimcheck shows that trim is not working.

Has anyone successfully enable trim in Raid 1, or M I just doing something that is not going to work at all??

Re: About Trim in SSD raid 1 and Raid 0

Intel grudgingly verified that TRIM in RAID 0 worked about a year ago, with their latest drivers and chipsets. The latest IRST Windows driver documentation provided with the IRST Windows UI only states RAID 0 has TRIM support.

You might think that TRIM for a RAID 1 volume would not be as difficult as RAID 0, since mirroring one drive to another seems straightforward. Obviously more to it than that.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Intel grudgingly verified that TRIM in RAID 0 worked about a year ago, with their latest drivers and chipsets. The latest IRST Windows driver documentation provided with the IRST Windows UI only states RAID 0 has TRIM support.

You might think that TRIM for a RAID 1 volume would not be as difficult as RAID 0, since mirroring one drive to another seems straightforward. Obviously more to it than that.

Thanks parsec, I was reading this TRIM with SSDs in RAID 1 - SSD - Storage
      so I was under the impression that trim should be possible under raid 1..
      and after google through 20 something forums, I can't read anywhere that confirm...or denial that trim was able or not able to be support under raid 1...
      that why I finially post on the forum to get more accurate answer...

I guess I can run windows 7 software raid instead for my 2 X 512 Samsung 840 pro....that way Trim will still be enabled......
      (I have offsite backup and network server that backs up every night).....

I guess I can spare 100g for windows 7 installation, 400 for Server Data..and windows 7 software raid to the 2nd SSD....

Comment

The guy that posted in that Tom's thread is completely wrong! Why does a tech site allow false information to remain uncorrected?

The Anandtech article about TRIM in RAID 0, does say TRIM in RAID 1 was working before RAID 0. Yet the Intel IRST documentation does not state that.

TRIMcheck is the best simple tool I've seen to verify TRIM is working. It revealed that one version of IRST (I think 12.5, might be another) did not have RAID 0 TRIM working, a bug in that version.

This is from the IRST help documentation included with the IRST Windows UI:

Click image for larger version

Name:	intel raid trim.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	754107

I included portions of the text before and after the TRIM section, to show nothing was left out. That is from the latest official version of IRST, 12.9.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          The guy that posted in that Tom's thread is completely wrong! Why does a tech site allow false information to remain uncorrected?

The Anandtech article about TRIM in RAID 0, does say TRIM in RAID 1 was working before RAID 0. Yet the Intel IRST documentation does not state that.

TRIMcheck is the best simple tool I've seen to verify TRIM is working. It revealed that one version of IRST (I think 12.5, might be another) did not have RAID 0 TRIM working, a bug in that version.

This is from the IRST help documentation included with the IRST Windows UI:

[ATTACH]6526[/ATTACH]

I included portions of the text before and after the TRIM section, to show nothing was left out. That is from the latest official version of IRST, 12.9.

I have posted on intel forum...and they said raid 1 is not supported...

thank you so much for your time ^_^~!!

I will be using software raid instead....thanks heaps!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bunbun22 View Post
            I have posted on intel forum...and they said raid 1 is not supported...

thank you so much for your time ^_^~!!

I will be using software raid instead....thanks heaps!!!
            Sure, my pleasure, sorry that TRIM does not work with RAID 1 arrays. By software RAID I think you mean the Windows dynamic volume created in Disk Management?

If so, I don't know if TRIM works with that kind of RAID, but I don't know if it does or does not, it might work. Do you know of information that states that it does?

Comment

Working...
            X