Adding storage HDD to RAID 0 - showing 1.63TB space of 4TB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding storage HDD to RAID 0 - showing 1.63TB space of 4TB

I'm trying to add a storage hdd to an existing RAID 0 system. I've formatted the 4TB drive using Dynamic GPT in Acronis to no success obviously. BIOS displays 4TB HDD. If I remove the 2 RAID0 Drives and set the 4TB HDD to SATA and format using the Windows 7 disc it displays about 4TB. No matter what I do the drive will not utilize it's full capacity. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Re: Adding storage HDD to RAID 0 - showing 1.63TB space of 4TB

Hello and Welcome.

Please, so that WE know what it is you're working with there, please read #1 in my Sig below and list out the pertinent components of your system.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The 4TB drive, did you format it as GPT?
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        The 4TB drive, did you format it as GPT?
        And not MBR.

Comment

Hello, yes the drive has been formatted to GPT using Acronis and Windows Disk Management.

System specs: 2 500GB WD Black WD5001AALS and 1 4TB WDC40EZRX.

Overclocking an i7 2.66ghz cpu @ 4ghz, 10gb RAM on 850wt PSU, HD6970, Cosair H100 Hydro series.

I removed 6gb ram but drive is still at 1.63GB.

BIOS is identifying the 4TB as a RAID, but Ctrl+I on boot posts the 4TB as a non-member RAID.

Comment

Your issue is simply explained, but impossible to fix, sorry to say.

The Intel RAID software and hardware, with a RAID 0 array used as a non-system volume, will limit the total capacity of the RAID 0 volume based upon the lowest capacity drive used in the array.

Since your two other drives are 500GB, only 500GB of the 4TB drive will be used when adding it to an existing RAID 0 array of the two 500GB drives. So the total capacity will by 1.5TB, or the 1.63GB you see, depending on what program (Windows, IRST, etc) is used and how it counts capacity (decimal or binary Giga-bytes).

That actually makes sense if you consider how RAID 0 works. Given N drives, a file is split into parts and each drive stores 1/Nth of the file. If mixed drive capacities were allowed, what happens when the smallest drive is filled to capacity? A file can no longer be split among multiple drives, and the RAID 0 configuration would be lost for all data stored above the true RAID 0 capacity.

The best you can do is create a 500GB partition on the 4TB drive, and add that partition to the RAID 0 volume. You should be able to use the remaining space on the 4TB drive.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. What I think I may end of doing is cloning the RAID0 onto the 4TB.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck34324 View Post
                I'm trying to add a storage hdd to an existing RAID 0 system.
                Did I misinterpret that? You're trying to add a 4TB drive next to an existing RAID0. Not into it, right?

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                  Did I misinterpret that? You're trying to add a 4TB drive next to an existing RAID0. Not into it, right?
                  I just wanted to add a storage drive next to the RAID0 system, with the 4TB as a stand alone drive. I don't think it could be part RAID0 since it is greatly different in size and model.

Comment

The thread title is "Adding storage HDD to RAID 0 - showing 1.63TB space of 4TB".

I'm trying to add a storage hdd to an existing RAID 0 system. I've formatted the 4TB drive using Dynamic GPT in Acronis to no success obviously. BIOS displays 4TB HDD. If I remove the 2 RAID0 Drives and set the 4TB HDD to SATA and format using the Windows 7 disc it displays about 4TB. No matter what I do the drive will not utilize it's full capacity. Does anyone have any good suggestions?
                    Which led me to believe you wanted to add the 4TB HDD to the RAID 0 array.

Later on...

I just wanted to add a storage drive next to the RAID0 system, with the 4TB as a stand alone drive. I don't think it could be part RAID0 since it is greatly different in size and model.
                    I can now see how this could go either way, but what I don't get is what the RAID 0 array has to do with the 4TB HDD capacity recognition, given that it will be used as a stand alone drive. The answer of course is nothing.

While we know this is an Intel system, we still don't know what board, etc. I am done here...

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                      The thread title is "Adding storage HDD to RAID 0 - showing 1.63TB space of 4TB".

Which led me to believe you wanted to add the 4TB HDD to the RAID 0 array.

Later on...

I can now see how this could go either way, but what I don't get is what the RAID 0 array has to do with the 4TB HDD capacity recognition, given that it will be used as a stand alone drive. The answer of course is nothing.

While we know this is an Intel system, we still don't know what board, etc. I am done here...
                      Same here, I've given up too but thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X