Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super high write speed with Samsungs Magician trim optimizer, Which trim optimizer to use? Windows 7 or Samsung's Magician Performance Optimization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super high write speed with Samsungs Magician trim optimizer, Which trim optimizer to use? Windows 7 or Samsung's Magician Performance Optimization?

Hello, I just bought a brand new Samsung 840 Pro 128gb ssd and tested the write speed with Crystaldiskmark noticing 442.4 Mb/s then after some gaming and tested it the next day, my write speed dropped to 354.7 Mb/s. Does anyone know why I would lose so much speed in one day? I play Second Life so the game is constantly writting to my ssd. The other thing is how can I use windows 7 Trim to test the speed difference? It's enabled but can I manually trim the drive? And if I do, will it decrease my performance if I do it once a day? I installed Samsung's Magician software and ran the peformance trim optimizer and my sequential write speed jumped from 354.7 Mb/s to 467 Mb/s and the read jumped from 500 to 545 Mb/s. Which is the best to use? Should I disable windows 7 Trim and use Samsungs Magician Software?

I don't even know how often Windows 7 trims the drive to optimize it's speed but I had a Kingston Hyperx 3k 120gb drive for 6 months and rma'd it once, then got a replacement, and returned the second one for a full refund because the write speed was 140 Mb/s on both drives. It was horrible, my 7200 rpm seagate does 140 Mb/s.

Thanks for the replies.
    Attached Files

Re: Super high write speed with Samsungs Magician trim optimizer, Which trim optimizer to use? Windows 7 or Samsung's Magician Performance Optimizati

My personal opinion on this would be, just use the drive as you would any other storage solution. If you want more speed buy a higher capacity drive, but as with all SSDs they will enter a lower performance state as they become used. This is called steady state.

Comment

Re: Super high write speed with Samsungs Magician trim optimizer, Which trim optimizer to use? Windows 7 or Samsung's Magician Performance Optimizati

TRIM isnt used to test the SSD, it marks blocks that need to be deleted so that garbage collection can restore drive performance in an more efficient manner. You should not disable TRIM, it is essential for smoother operation. You will experience performance fluctuation with SSDs, regardless of what you do. Benchmarking the drive repeatedly only makes it worse.

Comment

The correct answer is a Samsung 128GB 840 pro isnt spec's to write at 442MB/s and isnt capable of doing it. 354MB/s is correct
        Jon Coulter Storage Editor TweakTown

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Gates View Post
          The correct answer is a Samsung 128GB 840 pro isnt spec's to write at 442MB/s and isnt capable of doing it. 354MB/s is correct
          Ha HA! Blasphemy! How dare you question the results of two different benchmarks, they are almost all the same, except ________ (fill in your favorite) is superior to all others!

ATTO is the only false benchmark (on Xanax), and we all know that only AS SSD shows the true performance of SSDs, and reveals the lies of those using SandForce controllers, IOMeter and PCMark be danged!

You dared question the Wizards of TRIM, that increase read speeds now too, as well as those of write.

Worst of all, you questioned and critiqued that Gawd of all SSDs, the 840 Pro! Benchmark, benchmark on the wall, who's the fastest one of all? Long live King 840 Pro!!

But what of Prince 840 EVO, the bast***d TLC child of King Pro? Does not he surpass the King in AS SSD?! Indeed he can... while the Lords of Latency remain silent.

You think you bring truth?? We are not interested in the truth of technical realities, for we are one with the Best!

Comment

Working...
          X