Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastest Raid or SSD option for gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 motherboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest Raid or SSD option for gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 motherboard.

I'm trying to figure this out.... So there are three hard drive controllers on the UD9. Can any of them break the speed of a Revodrive with 4 combined SSDs in raid 0? I was looking at raid cards and it looks like they are limited to 70,000 IOPS and 400-600 MBPS. I am hoping to break 75,000 IOPS and 750-1000MBPS.

Also I don't know much about SSD's. I saw the term TRIM on a few threads, after consulting Wikipedia I learned that it has to do with maintenance and sustaining performance.... Seems important an important feature to have.

So basically I want to know:

* What drive controller would give me the fastest performance when doing raid 0 and about how fast would that be?

* What is the fastest raid option (card or onboard) for the GA-X58A-UD9 and how fast would that be? (Sustained/Random Read/Write + IOPS)

Also if there is another forum that you think would better be able to answer this question then point me to it.

Re: Fastest Raid or SSD option for gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 motherboard.

If you are going to RAID then you are not going to get TRIM, at least not now. Highpoint has TRIM listed as a feature on their 600 Series products but we are still on the fence about that one.

So, the best drive to use when TRIM isn't going to run is the SandForce drives. These are also the same controllers used on the RevoDrive. Grab 4 100 or 120GB drives, slap them in RAID 0 on the Intel SATA controller and hold on tight.

It really doesn't matter if you get 600 or 1000MB/s since you can only get that kind of speed from a few usage scenerios. If you want to just show off benchmarks then wait a couple of days and I will have your cure for that.

Comment

So I would get more speed with four SSDs on the on board intel SATA controller then I would with a Revodrive? I'm going to be opening, editing, and saving 10 Gigabyte files fairly often. I will be running the Six core intel chip.

Would my performance be effected if I add another drive and go for raid 5? This is for a high-end workstation and I want it to be as stable and fast as possible.

Comment

Any new updates in the world of SSD and RAID and trim? I am looking to buy something now. I might go with a SR-2 Duel processor set up instead of the UD9.

Is that high point controller going to be TRIM compatible with Windows 7 adds raid support to TRIM.

That thing about intel and trim just means that I can raid Magnetic HDS and use a single SSD on the side correct?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Can some one recommend the fastest raid drive for use with 4-8 SSDS? Is the newer z-drive the fastest PCIe raid solution out there for t he buck (in that price range)

I also need a second raid controller for a set of 4 magnetic drives in raid 10. I might want to upgrade the second array at a later point in time.

Comment

This might be of interest to you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26enkCzkJHQ

Comment

Working...
            X