Hard drive is almost full

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive is almost full

I have a Compaq Presario laptop purchased 1998. Yeah, I know its old.....

Running windows 98 SE.

Anyhow, it has 6 Gig on it with 5 gig filled. It runs really slow and I think it is becouse the hard drive is so full.

At one point in time, I had a lot of digital pics on the hard drive. These were taken on a digital camera and then transferred to the hard drive when my wife and I where in sweden on vacation.

Once I got back home to the states, I emailed these pic files to myself and downloaded them onto a desktop computer. Once that was done, I deleted all the pic files from my laptop. However, the laptop is still acting like these files are still on it... I have searched but cannot find anything. Yes, I did delete/remove from the recycle bin.

I have defragged the drive, scanned the drive and still have the issue.

Anyone know how I can get my space back?

Thx.

Rosco

Re: Hard drive is almost full

Just out of curiosity, are you running the Norton suite? If so, then you likely have their enhanced recycle bin... which means that your pictures are still there just in case you really didn't want to delete them. Norton is a resource hog to begin with, so if you have this installed you might consider dumping it.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Nope, no norton on this machine. I did a search also just to make sure...Thx.

Rosco

Comment

that^ will graphically map your hdd usage so you can see what's eating up your space

Comment

Are you emptying the recycle bin?
          You should be running a program like CCleaner (aka Crap Cleaner). And when you install it, don't click thru the screens too quickly or you'll install Yahoo Toolbar...watch the screen & remove the check from the box so that it doesn't install.

Download CCleaner 6.21 for Windows. Fast downloads of the latest free software! Click now

And don't forget Windows needs room for a swap file. How big is your HDD?

Comment

Working...
          X