Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

moving space from one partition to the other.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving space from one partition to the other.

With my recent reformat I decided to make 2 partitions, one for windows and one for my media. But I made the huge mistake of leaving the windows partition at 2 gigs, I just reformatted today, and got to only 72mb of room left on the 2gig partition. Is this enough for XP? If not what is? And is there a way to move space from one partition to the next? and if not should I just reformat again to save my self the hassle later on? Thanks.

Re: moving space from one partition to the other.

A 2GB partition is simply inefficient for Windows XP. You can move things like my documents and even the paging file (which is disadvantageous without a 2nd HDD), but you'll still have temporary files on the same drive and that will cause issues. And you're basically SOL if you accidently install a program to the XP drive. I'd suggest that if you have XP on its own partition, you make it 6GB at the very least. Depending on how you partition you drive(s), you may want it quite larger. For the system I'm on right now, I have a 16GB partition for XP, My Documents, and the paging file, with a 58GB partition being used for games and other applications. On another system, I have an 8GB XP partition while program have two partitons (two drives), files (e.g. My Documents and all the crap I've downloaded) have their own partiton, and the paging file has it's own 2GB partition (again, 2nd drive). I'd say for that second system, 8GB may be overkill, but it's just an example.

Of course, you could just make one big partition. There's no performance advantage unless you have a 2nd drive.

Comment

Re: moving space from one partition to the other.

I made the windows partition 10gig, it seems to work out fine.

Comment

Working...
      X