Are there problems with SATA RAID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there problems with SATA RAID?

I was just wondering, I have 2 160 GB SATA drives set up in a RAID 0 with the MSI Neo2 Platinum MB. For some unknown reason I have been having a lot of problems when I get to the end of installing all of my software on the drives. I gave a 20 GB partition for windows and then the 200 GB partition for data. I have heard that a SATA RAID like this can lead to gross fragmentation of the drive, which if true, might explain the unbearably slow windows start up time and so forth. Does anyone know for sure about this? Maybe I am setting the RAID up incorrectly, but everything seems to work great untill I start to fill up the drives. It even got to the point where my video card wouldn't work correctly with some of my games. (all though that may be because I played around with windows services.

Re: Are there problems with SATA RAID?

Defrag?
    No but seriously...
    Did you install the RAID drivers when you installed windows, like in the pre-install?
    I don't know much about it but I want to run RAID 0 myself.

Comment

Yes I installed the drivers correctly during windows setup straight out of the MSI booklet and it works great untill I get to certain point of loading things onto it.

Comment

Originally posted by Soccer1725
        I was just wondering, I have 2 160 GB SATA drives set up in a RAID 0 with the MSI Neo2 Platinum MB. For some unknown reason I have been having a lot of problems when I get to the end of installing all of my software on the drives. I gave a 20 GB partition for windows and then the 200 GB partition for data. I have heard that a SATA RAID like this can lead to gross fragmentation of the drive, which if true, might explain the unbearably slow windows start up time and so forth. Does anyone know for sure about this? Maybe I am setting the RAID up incorrectly, but everything seems to work great untill I start to fill up the drives. It even got to the point where my video card wouldn't work correctly with some of my games. (all though that may be because I played around with windows services.
        Thats alot of space to fill!
        I have 2 160 GB Sata drives set to Raid 0. I have one big 320GB partition which is over half full, I also use a 120GB IDE drive for extra storage which is over 3 fourths full. So far no problems like what your talking about but I guess its possible something might act up when the raided drives near capacity. Even though this system is fairly new, I defrag fairly often so maybe that helps. If I were you I'd defrag and set all your Windows Services to a safe setting to see if it helps. Maybe there are newer Raid drivers than what you used or maybe a Google search might answer questions about that particular Sata raid fragmentation question you have. Hate to say it but I'm kinda wondering if one of your drives is bad or maybe its going bad, although its strange it would affect your video card like that. maybe you have other hardware or software issues involved.

Comment

I've been running two RAID 0 setups for over a year with no problems as you mentioned...I don't have the size that you do..only 2x36 & 2 74 gig raptors..but no major fragmentation issues. I have a promise PCI card for now.

Comment

Working...
          X