OS on formatted HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS on formatted HDD

i just took the HDD a western digital caviar 18.0gb from my old comp and i formated it, i did this because i want to learn more about comps and i thought that i would use my old comp rather than my old comp as a guine pig. anyways i reformatted it and now what do i do? do i need an OS and can i just move my OS from my new comp to my old HDD? any thing would help this noob. thanks alot.

Re: OS on formatted HDD

Once the drive has been reformatted, you need to install the OS fresh. Depending on which operating system you're planning on using will determine how this needs to be done. With WinXP you simply insert the installation CD into the drive and make sure the BIOS is set up to read the CD before the hard drive. If you're using Win9x, chances are good you'll need to use a bootable floppy disk to install the necessary drivers so it can then read the Windows CD for the installation process.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

what if i wanna use Linux?

Comment

I believe you're already seeking help in the Linux section of the forums so I'll leave the professionals there to their business. I use Windows so am not familiar with the Linux installations and setups. That will likely change soon but not at this time.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Working...
        X