hdd slow after overclock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hdd slow after overclock

i've been overclocking my pc for the past five hours, making small changes, rebooting and running diffrent benchmarks (SiSoftware Sandra 2005 "combined performance index wizard"). I raised the external clock from 166 to 188, set a 3:3 ratio for my ram, disabled FSB and AGP spread spectrum ( i read somewhere that it's not good to have it enabled if you overclock), raised the AGP aperture size to 128 mb.

From this i've got like 11 % increase in the overall score (9894 - 11081),
    12 % in CPU multi-media performance, 14 % in memory bandwidth.

But the file system score went down from 27208 to 25326, a decrease with like 7 %!

When i run the Speed Test in the nVidia nForce 2 ATA controller options screen, my WD drive scores 56 millions bytes/s, but it supports up to 100. I've got ATA 100 cables and all, but the samsung drive is even worse!
    29 million bytes/s! Is this normal? I've got UDMA 5 enabled on both drives.

(the samsung drive is SV2001H; it's like three years old)
    The WD drive is WDC WD 800JB-00FSA0

PS Is it worth buying a fan for my gfx card and overclocking it? I dont have one.
    Last edited by ifander; 12-12-2004, 12:03 PM.

Re: hdd slow after overclock

Your controller may not like the extra clock you're giving it, but run the tests a few times just to make sure it's not other things causing the different readings. My 3dmark 05 scores vary by a few hundred each time I run it..same settings.

An aftermarket fan/hs would be a good idea, and would allow for higher clock speeds. Arctic silver 5 is also a really good idea.

Comment

Working...
    X