Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD/DVD on RAID Channels?

[blue]Hey guys,

Here is my system specs since I don't a website anymore for the sig...

ABit KR7A-133 RAID mobo http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...2MB DDR PC3200
    Seagate Barracuda IV P-ATA EIDE 80GB 7200 rpm (master on primary channel)
    Iomega ZIP 100 Internal (slave on primary channel)
    Plextor 24x10x40x (master on secondary channel)
    LG 32x10x40x (slave on secondary channel)

I have just purchased a Plextor DVD+-RW (PX-708A, black bezel) and I already have 2 CDRW drives. These are on the secondary IDE channel. On the primary, I have my hard drive and my ZIP drive. I do have 2 RAID channels on the motherboard.

Question is:

Can I put the CD and DVD drives on the RAID channels (and will it work?). I know it's "not recommended" for some reason (performance?) but hey if it works, it'll be fine. I mean, a harddrive is faster than a CD drive anyway, so what "performance hit" will there be?

What I want to do is the following:

Primary IDE: Hard Drive
    Secondary IDE: Plextor DVD Recorder
    Primary RAID: Plextor CD Recorder
    Secondary RAID: LG CD Recorder and ZIP Drive [master and slave, accordingly]

This way I can do CD copying on-the-fly.

I already have the RAID enabled when I boot....

Thanks for all the help!![/blue]

I had a quick look, but couldn't find specifics on that RAID controller, but most of them don't support optical drives at all. This may be an exception, but I'm yet to see one that does.

Best way to check is trial and error really... Also, you could always put the HDD on the RAID controller, and the rest of the devices on normal IDE.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

from what the manual says, it has said that connecting optical drives to the RAID channels is "not recommended," but not "will not work." Unless they mean the same thing to ABit :D

Yeah experimentation would be the most thorough way of finding out if I can or cannot, but I would rather hear it from someone who has done it already and, of course, is workking successfully.

I am going to instead, however, put the hard drive as you (and futuremark forums) have suggested. That will have the least amount of headache I believe, right ? :)

Comment

Working...
      X