Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• formatting Windows XP Harddrive

Hi,

Trying to format my C Drive so that I can re install Windows XP. Tried using the Command prompt but cant seem to do it with Windows running in the background.

Any advice on how to format my C drive?

I have split my C and D drive into 2 as it is one large Hard Drive.

Thanks

GoodCDNKid

Boot from Windows XP CD. Start the setup process. You'll have the option there to format the partition.

Comment

Ok. how do i boot from the windows xp cd? i have it in my cd rom drive when i start up but it doesnt auto boot.

do i need to press del before it loads windows and enter the setup? if so please direct me, as i am not too sure of what to do. dumbing it down to a newbies level would be great! =).

thanks for the help.

GoodCDNKid

Comment

Yes, hit delete, or F1, or whatever you need to enter your BIOS (or "setup"). There should be some sort of option in there for setting boot priority.

Anyway, is Windows XP on you C drive? If so, that would be why you can't format it. But the CD should be able to do it once you boot into it and reinstall.

Comment

OK, first thing is to get into the BIOS and set the boot order. Most PCs you press Del to do that at boot-up, if it's a brand name PC (Dell, Gateway, Compaq), then it's a different key.

Once you get in, look around for the option to set your CD-ROM drive as your first Boot Device. Save and exit.

Start with the CD in the drive. When it's ready to boot, it'll ask you to 'Press a key to boot from CD...' . Try pressing a key.

Comment

I re installed XP and got 'er fired back up again.

Thanks for the help

GoodCDNKid

Comment

Working...
            X