NTFS vs FAT32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS vs FAT32

Hey guys, for the last couple months the biggest peeve that ive been having is that my roomates computer boots up so much faster than mine even though we have bascially the same hardware. However i stumbled upon the fact that his is FAT32 whereas mine is NFTS. Is this the reason why? Which is better?

ntfs is much better imo. with an 80 GB hdd, there is no question that ntfs is better suited for it. If your boot up it slow it is most likely software based. Clear out some, if not all, of the apps that are loading on startup.

You should have a look in our XP tweaking guides :)

WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax

WinXP Tweaking: From Relax to Righteous

Comment

Thanks minibubba, but i have cleaned out like everything, i only have like 7 gigs of info on my HDD. Theres no additional programs being loaded. When i checked the bootvis graph it showed a lot of time was being spent on the drivers. The only thing different about my computer is that i have a card reader, could that be it?

Comment

it's possible, make sure you have the latest drivers for all of your hardware, and I don't mean the drivers M$ supplies at windows update :)

also make sure you have DMA enabled on your hdd and dont have any slow devices like cd-roms on the same channel as the hdd

Comment

I built two identical systems EXCEPT one minor diff... my wifes I added one of them 7 in 1 card readers w/USB and IEE1394 ports. Mine boot in under 30 seconds hers take almost one minute.

I assume that her boot is delayed while the BIOS (IRQ in auto), checks for free IRQs for the reader, USB, and Firewire ports. I have not verified this by disconnecting the cables as it is too much a PITA and hell, it's her computer any way!

Comment

ahhh, i bet thats it then... ill check it out

Comment

Working...
            X