3 hard drives per IDE channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 hard drives per IDE channel?

Hello Fellas. Is it possible that I connect 3 hard drives on 1 IDE channel? (no raid).

Thanks for any reply.

PS: The thing is, I have 2 wd hd's, 40Gb and 80gb and I just got a 160gb wd caviar. Now the way I understand I'm going to need another hard drive(same) to be able to use the RAID. Thats why I was wondering if I can connect 3 hd's on one IDE channel without any problems. I dont really want to deal with the raid setup...hehe.

Thanks.

sorry, but the max is 2 devices per channel. if you only have one device on the secondary channel you can put the new hdd there.

:cheers:

Comment

Well, IDE1 I got my 2 hd's and IDE2 i got cdrw and dvd burner. What if I buy a controller card would that allow me to use my 3'rd HD without setting up raid?

Thanks.

Comment

yep, your typical controler card will allow you to add 4 more devices with 2 more channels

Comment

What motherboard have you got? Is that where the RAID controller is?

If so, some built-in RAID controllers allow you to use the port normally instead of setting up a RAID, in essence allowing you to run 6 / 8 IDE devices on the one board.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
            What motherboard have you got? Is that where the RAID controller is?

If so, some built-in RAID controllers allow you to use the port normally instead of setting up a RAID, in essence allowing you to run 6 / 8 IDE devices on the one board.

Beefy, I got MSI 845PE Max2 FIR. That would be great if I dont have to buy a controller, but if I do need one would this one do the job?... http://www.promise.com/product/produ...=11&familyId=3

Thanks guys.

Comment

Doesn't that mobo have a 3rd yellow IDE connector near the bottom of the board that ya can use? If not then just get an ATA-SATA convertor for ya new drive and hook it up to one of the SATA ports.

Comment

this is my mobo...

Thanks for any help

Comment

just use that raid for ata. there is probably a jumper you have to change or a setting in the bios (consult your mobo manual) to get it to function as ata and not raid. But that's all you have to do; plug your new hdd into the primary ata/raid channel and you're on your way :thumb:

Comment

Thanks minibubba. I'm will check the manual to see if I can do that, thanks for the idea.

Will post the update:)

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I guess the only option I have left is to buy a controller.

Which one do you guys suggest?

Promise http://www.promise.com/product/produ...=87&familyId=3

Maxtor http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/ac...card/index.htm

All the opinions are welcome.
                      Thank You.

Comment

why buy a controller? if you use the onboard ata/raid you wont need one.

Comment

minibubba, that is my problem mate :tears: i never done this before....Would you be kind to tell me step by step how to do it...Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Comment

pick up your mobo manual, look in the table of contents for the section on raid, turn to that page(s) and read the sentence that tells you how to disable raid and enable ata. Then plug your hdd into the primary raid (now ata) channel. that's it.

Comment

I dont think I have that option mate, I checked my mobo manual and could not find anything about disable raid and enable ata.:?:

Comment

Working...
                              X