8800gt\gtx g80 speeds\pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 8800gt\gtx g80 speeds\pipes

My 7800GT has no problems at 1600x1200 and 1280x960. NWN 2 and TES4 don't run at maxed settings or at 1600x1200, but BF2, FEAR, and CoH all do max or near-max at 1600x1200 and 1920x1080. What games are you struggling with?

8800GTX is only $600 USD for me. I'll agree to that being overpriced, although not because there's no equivalently priced AMD card. It's "twice" as powerful as any AMD card, so costing almost twice as much but some means make sense. I wouldn't consider buying one, and no one but the rich ultra-enthusiast with a high-resolution monitor would, either. The 8800GS is priced more appropriately, IMO.

I don't know how "fair" any video card prices are, when it's comes down to it. If the competition between AMD and Nvidia weren't so fierce, I'd suspect that there were some sort of discrete graphics cartel. A mid-range card alone costs as much as an Xbox 360 and needs a powerful system backing it to have about the same graphical power. The rate of discrete graphics inflation is a little too high, IMO. It's just bad for the PC gaming industry.

Comment

Re: 8800gt\gtx g80 speeds\pipes

Well, I cannot deny that the GTS is really not too high priced. It just kills me to see the GTX @ $700+ up here. I can get 2 7900GS video cards for $400 that can keep up to a single 8800 no sweat at any resolution, although no DX-10.

If Intel comes through with their threat to join the discrete graphics card market, we all gotta hope they can do it well. That would be the third party needed to reign in prices that are just out of control. AMD and Nvidia are being investigated for price fixing, but I doubt that will amount to anything. I realize that prices are not set to make me happy, it just really galls me to see them at $XXX now and half that price 6 months later. Anyhow, this is my last rant on prices. I still curse MS to no end for no DX-10 on XP and who knows what the new year is gonna bring.......
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
      X