No announcement yet.

AMD HAMMER....Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One question. The pic of the AK86 above. There is a small chipset fan next to the ZIF socket. The K8 architecture features an "on-chip" northbridge, so what on earth is that fan cooling? An overly excited onboard sound solution? Onboard video (ala nforce)?

The questions...

~Deke

Comment

Yes that's a good question Deke as it encroaches on the no go zone around the socket and looks like it would interfere with the HSF mounting system. :?:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Any particular reason you highlighted my name like that? I dont care, I'm just curious.

But yeah, Socket 754 has a nice new mounting system, kind of similar to the P4, but that would still have to get in the road. And I have no clue what it is actually doing there, so hence my curiosity. It has to be there for a reason.

~Deke

Comment

Nah I always highlight names (blue for guys and pink for girls, I'm sexist ya see :devil win, though other colours may mean that ya in trouble :laugh: ) as ya'll probably notice as ya get around these forums. : peace2:

Comment

Only 3 PCI slots on that mobo. :(

Comment

Yeah and since there are only 3 pci slots there should be alot of integrated stuff..and its only a early layout i guess..
              There is a 5.1 soundcard integrated, the 3 metal tubes on the left are vacum tubes for the soundsystem.
              And intergrated graphics could be the reason for that Fan there..
              Also integrated SATA, LAN, USB, firewire could be expected..

Comment

the pic is from Toms hardware..
                here are some pics without the fan and the text sais its the northbridge under the fan...

Comment

and what the hell is this supposed to be..

look at the box..

Doh the image has been removed..
                  anyway it was a photo of a K8mobo box claiming to support 800Mhz FSB (like intels gunning for) and Hyperthreading (which AMD kinda stated dislike for)
                  would be cool, but i seriously doubt it..

Comment

Laugh. Hyperthreading on an Athlon? Laugh. It must be a joke. Hammer will have Hypertransport, similar deal, just done the AMD way.

//EDIT - Sigh. I hate it when I read bad information. Ignore me. Hammer has onboard memory controller, AGP functions and communication between north and south will still be done by a northbridge. The question has been answered.

~Deke

Comment

Athlons already have Hypertransport with nForce boards and it's only a comunications bus which has taken over the old role of the PCI bus and provides much more bandwidth for hardware to use without becomin' a bottleneck that the PCI bus has become. It is nothing like Hyperthreading. ;)

Comment

Sigh. I hate it when I read bad information. Ignore me.
                        Yes. Yes indeed.

~Deke

Comment

Originally posted by Deke
                          Sigh. I hate it when I read bad information. Ignore me.
                          You read bad info?!?!?!

Another vote in the reading race...
                          Illiteracy 1
                          Literacy 0

Comment

Working...
                          X