X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Hardware fault?

Hi guys how are you?

I`m with a strange issue here

Even with my CPU at stock clocks when i run IBT or LinX after a couple of seconds or minutes my screen goes black and comes back with the message that the video driver was crash and recovered....

I have here 2 GTX 780 SLi, my PSU is a CoolerMaster SilentProGold 1200w

With softwares i can the that the 12v line is ok about 12.168

I tried turning off SLI and test some bencks but with both cards attached and i had no errors, the issue here is that i can`t test a stable OC because i always receive this black screens and have to stop the tests, but today i realized that happens with stock clock too?

What i supossed to do? My PSU could be the problem? It`s almost new one?

Thanks

Edit:

Well guys i removed both cards and tested then one at a time

The same thing happened with only one card at the rig, so i think that could not be the cards, what sould we try now?

Thanks
    Last edited by wsarahan; 08-20-2013, 08:02 PM.
    My system Specs

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Force - F7 Bios

I7 4770k @4.5

G Skill F3-2400C10-8GTX X2

EVGA GTX 780 SC Edition SLI - Model Number - 10DE-1004

Corsair Force GT SCSI Disk Device (223 GB)

Cosmos 2 Case

Corsair H110 Cooler

Creative SB Recon3D Audio

Windows 7 X64

Re: Possible Hardware fault?

Did both video cards fail in a similar manner when each card was tested one at a time?
    Are both video cards using the same bios version? Is there a newer gpu bios version?
    Which Nvidia driver version are you running?
    Please post a cropped screen-shot from GPU-Z with one video card installed.
    Download TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.7.2 | techPowerUp

Can you borrow another power supply to test with?
    We don't know the details about your hardware, but you should be able to test one card at a time with a 500 - 600 watt power supply.
    Even a brand new psu can have problems with stable power delivery, it might be defective.

If you post a detailed hardware list that includes brand names and model numbers, we can better help you.

We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
    forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
    profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
      Did both video cards fail in a similar manner when each card was tested one at a time?
      Are both video cards using the same bios version? Is there a newer gpu bios version?
      Which Nvidia driver version are you running?
      Please post a cropped screen-shot from GPU-Z with one video card installed.
      Download TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.7.2 | techPowerUp

Can you borrow another power supply to test with?
      We don't know the details about your hardware, but you should be able to test one card at a time with a 500 - 600 watt power supply.
      Even a brand new psu can have problems with stable power delivery, it might be defective.

If you post a detailed hardware list that includes brand names and model numbers, we can better help you.

We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
      forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
      profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
      Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
      Yep they crashed the same time, they are using the same bios version, just checked this before, where can i find if there is a newer bios version? Did not tried this yet

I don`t have another PSU, that`s the problem :(

I`ll post here now the GPUZ screenshots but here go the specs, at least the most important

I7 3770k no overclock in the tests

Cooler H100i Push/Pull

MB Gigabyte GAZ77X-D3H bios F18g

Memory Gskill 2x8GB 2400 Mghz (XMP)

Corsair Forge GT 240 GB SSD

and now the GPUZ pics:

Thanks
      My system Specs

I7 4770k @4.5

Cosmos 2 Case

Corsair H110 Cooler

Windows 7 X64

Comment

If you had provided the full model number of your EVGA video cards, I could have quickly and easily found the download page at EVGA for your video cards and checked to see if there is a newer gpu bios available. EVGA often has many similar models for each video card.

When you don't post your detailed hardware list in your PC Specs or in your forum signature, this means that we have to scroll back through your thread each time we view this thread. This isn't bad right now with only 4 posts, but if/when your thread has 10, 20, or more posts, it becomes a PITA. Many of us are helping in many other threads and we are reading new threads to see if others need help. Many times two or more threads will have similar hardware setups and it's easy for us to make mistakes when we can't quickly and easily double check the hardware list in each thread.

I don't continue to help in threads when the OP (original poster) doesn't provide the information that we need where we can quickly see the complete hardware list from each of your posts.

Some forums won't let you post until you have filled in your detailed hardware list.
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

If you had provided the full model number of your EVGA video cards, I could have quickly and easily found the download page at EVGA for your video cards and checked to see if there is a newer gpu bios available. EVGA often has many similar models for each video card.

When you don't post your detailed hardware list in your PC Specs or in your forum signature, this means that we have to scroll back through your thread each time we view this thread. This isn't bad right now with only 4 posts, but if/when your thread has 10, 20, or more posts, it becomes a PITA. Many of us are helping in many other threads and we are reading new threads to see if others need help. Many times two or more threads will have similar hardware setups and it's easy for us to make mistakes when we can't quickly and easily double check the hardware list in each thread.

I don't continue to help in threads when the OP (original poster) doesn't provide the information that we need where we can quickly see the complete hardware list from each of your posts.

Some forums won't let you post until you have filled in your detailed hardware list.
          I made all you asked :)

The signature now is ok?

Thanks
          My system Specs

I7 4770k @4.5

Cosmos 2 Case

Corsair H110 Cooler

Windows 7 X64

Comment

Good work!!
            Now we know the hardware details.

Can you borrow a power supply from a friend to test with?
            With no cpu or gpu overclocking, a good quality 500 watt psu is sufficient for testing one video card at a time.
            Did you buy your hardware locally?
            If yes, see if the store can trouble shoot you psu and video cards for free.
            It might be worthwhile to test each video card, one at a time using the second pci-e x16 motherboard slot.
            It would help if you can test each video card in a friend's computer system.

It's possible that the 326.80 Nvidia drivers might be the problem.
            Drivers | GeForce shows that this is a beta driver version.
            Version 320.49 is a stable WHQL driver version that is about 7 weeks older than your current beta driver version.
            See if your system is stable with the earlier Nvidia WHQL driver version.

EVGA | Products | Graphics - GeForce 700 Series Family - GTX 780 shows two different GTX 780 SC models, where one model has the ACX dual fan cooler. I didn't find any links to download any gpu bios updates.

You can also go to http://www.evga.com/default.asp where you create a free account so that you can contact EVGA tech support directly.

Comment

Good work!!
              Now we know the hardware details.

Can you borrow a power supply from a friend to test with?
              With no cpu or gpu overclocking, a good quality 500 watt psu is sufficient for testing one video card at a time.
              Did you buy your hardware locally?
              If yes, see if the store can trouble shoot you psu and video cards for free.
              It might be worthwhile to test each video card, one at a time using the second pci-e x16 motherboard slot.
              It would help if you can test each video card in a friend's computer system.

It's possible that the 326.80 Nvidia drivers might be the problem.
              Drivers | GeForce shows that this is a beta driver version.
              Version 320.49 is a stable WHQL driver version that is about 7 weeks older than your current beta driver version.
              See if your system is stable with the earlier Nvidia WHQL driver version.

EVGA | Products | Graphics - GeForce 700 Series Family - GTX 780 shows two different GTX 780 SC models, where one model has the ACX dual fan cooler. I didn't find any links to download any gpu bios updates.

You can also go to http://www.evga.com/default.asp where you create a free account so that you can contact EVGA tech support directly.
              My card is with the single fan :)

I bought the pieces at USA when i was traveling, i`m from Brazil that`s the big issue, no way to go to a store or something like that

The drivers i made it some minutes ago, tried the certificated one you said and happened again, same thing

And i do not have a friend that can borrow me some PSU or something like that, all my local friends have Video Games and the PC is just for work so they don`t have high end stuffs or something like that

What should i do now? I have depresiion and it`s letting me crazy, i can`t sleep anymore because of that, almost crying here, really need a light

Thanks again man and sorry for boring you
              My system Specs

I7 4770k @4.5

Cosmos 2 Case

Corsair H110 Cooler

Windows 7 X64

Comment

It's possible that there is a problem with your motherboard and maybe the current mobo bios version.
                It is unlikely that both of your video cards are defective.
                You can't assume that your psu is OK, even if the 12V, 5V and 3.3V readings seem to be OK.
                It's possible that excess heat is causing some component in your system to fail.

Loose connections, hardware and/or electrical very often cause hard to diagnose problems.
                I would see if your system is stable with an absolute minimum of hardware connected where you would disconnect ALL usb cables and hardware, remove your sound card, only use one memory module, etc. If this approach does not work, I would remove the motherboard from the computer case and place it on a cardboard box next to your computer case and test again with a minimal hardware setup. In another thread, I told the OP to also disconnect the front panel RESET and POWER wires and manually jumper the two PWR header panel pins momentarily to start and power down his system. It looks like his RESET wires might have been preventing his motherboard from getting ANY power. You might need to remove your psu from the case also. Don't forget to check both ends of the power supply's A.C. cable at the wall outlet and the back of the power supply. See http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...r-problem.html for more information.

If you can't borrow hardware to test with the only options are to:
                • RMA your power supply and/or video cards which might be a very expensive waste of your time and and money.
                • Work with Cooler Master and EVGA tech support.
                • Pay a local repair shop to trouble-shoot your system.

Comment

I've seen this video driver failing and then recovering thing in the past. It was due to the driver.

The 780 is a very new video card, the driver bugs may not all be worked out yet. I would try another driver for the 780, if it exists.

Checking and posting in the EVGA forum would be a great idea, that would be my next stop for assistance.

EVGA has the Precision X utility program that can be downloaded for free and used to monitor the video card's temperature, voltage, etc. That is something you should install and use.

Comment

EVGA also has a toll free phone number for tech support in the USA.
                    Maybe you can use this number if you have international calling.
                    Check out their GTX 780 forums where owners and EVGA staff post questions and answers.

You can also use EVGA Precision X to underclock the gpu and/or memory speeds somewhat to see if this might help as a temporary fix.
                    As a starting point, I would underclock a single card by 5 - 15% to see if it helps.
                    Naturally Precision X can be used for overclocking these settings once everything is working normally.

Comment

might even wanna try a touch more cpu voltage,ivy bridge will crash games to desktop if cpu v isn't enough and also cause gpu driver errors

you can look in event viewer for any whea warnings/errors

also try disabling c3/c6 states in the bios and see if its any better

set vcore voltage response to fast and pwm phase control to extreme performance in the bios whether your overclocked or not it will help with stability
                      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X