high cpu useage on a 900 duron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high cpu useage on a 900 duron

help.. i got a 900 duron on a biostar m7vkb board.. something is eating up resources like mad.. the cpu is almost constantly at 100% utilization.. and this is on a clean install.. nothing else running..

and ive tried reinstalling the os multiple times.. from 98 to 98se to win2k and all the same thing.. im at my wits end here .. ready to replace the board and see if that helps..

any suggestions would be appreciated

This is indeed an unusual problem. What are you monitoring with? What kind of hardware is in the box? Are you on a network? Is the hard drive led on all of the time?

Comment

just using the built in stuff with windows.... the pc's on a linksys dls router with a netgear nic card.. 256 mb ram and an ati rage 128 video card.. other than that its basic besides a cd rom, floppy, cdrw drive and a 60gb maxtor drive..

Comment

Does it still do it if you disconnect from the router? Do any drive lights flicker on or stay on?

Comment

Hmm; very familiar to me too. I am running xp with an xp 2000+ processor and I cant run Half-Life or any intensive games or my comp locks up. I check and I am at 100 percent cpu usage. I haven't figured out my problem either. I do know going into the bios and changing my APG aperture size to 256 helped some. Also, I am running my cpu temp at 127-135 deg (fluctuates). Could it be Heat? There is one similarity between our comps. You are running some kind of broadband and using a netgear network card just like me. Can't be that though. Good luck. These kind of problems I find are usually something that we caused by tweaking something somewhere.
          One other thing. Did you try and go into your advanced start up menu and turn everything off. 98se won' let you turn anything off that you need. Then reboot. It is a long shot. Sometimes it can be something really simple though.

Comment

yes.. ive tried turning off everything.. disabling anything i can think of and nothing makes that big of a difference.. still eating cpu time like mad.. im beginning to think its either the board or the processor.. so i may just end up replacing them and getting an intel to replace the whole system with.

not real happy at this point with amd

Comment

I think you are being a little harsh on AMD. There are millions of AMD rigs out there without this problem.

Comment

I don't know anything about your mobo but it is not your cpu. If you are going to throw it away, send it to me. My advise to you is to take a break and give the forum a chance to do what it does best. these guys are really quick around here and someone here has had this prob before and can help. Give it a few days. If I was a betting man though, my money is on the cpu being too hot or something is not quite right in your bios. Maybe clearing your cmos and resetting it up will help.
                If you remember, I have the same problem. I am waiting on 2 case fans and hopefully I can get my cpu temp to stay below 50. I am just running the retail fan and I cant play any intensive games or my comp locks up and cpu usage is at 100 percent. If it isn't the heat then you and I are in the same boat.

Comment

are you running any programs like seti or folding@home?

Comment

I think you can replace your Motherboard. If there are no problem with other hardware.

Maybe it doesn't work , but you can try.

Comment

Posted by bigjackusa
                      [b]I think you are being a little harsh on AMD. There are millions of AMD rigs out there without this problem.
                      I would most certainly agree and the prob may more lay with the cheapo motherboard itself or in something that you have running invisablely in the background that you don't realize. :smokin:

Posted by Potatoe2
                      [b]I am running xp with an xp 2000+ processor and I cant run Half-Life or any intensive games or my comp locks up. I check and I am at 100 percent cpu usage. I haven't figured out my problem either. I do know going into the bios and changing my APG aperture size to 256 helped some. Also, I am running my cpu temp at 127-135 deg (fluctuates). Could it be Heat?
                      I definately think that your problem is heat related as well as a process problem. Ya need to get that temp below 120F and keep it there. ;)
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                      X