New FM1 socket processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FM1 socket processors

While looking through Gigabytes FM1 socket offerings, I found out a couple of interesting things.

They have released a new FM1 motherboard with ITX form factor.

This now means there are motherboards for mini pc gamers from ASRock, Asus, Zotak and now Gigabyte using the FM1 chip. Gigabyte has been my preferred brand for a long time and they have a good range of FM1 socket boards out now.

link to the new gigbyte ITX FM1 motherboard model GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket FM1 - GA-A75N-USB3 (rev. 1.0)

link to the well reviewed micro ATX motherboard GA-A75M-UD2H GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket FM1 - GA-A75M-UD2H (rev. 1.0)

I had a look at the memory and processor compatibility on the Gigabyte motherboards and found that there have been some new AMD Athalon chips released with the FM1 socket. Th fastest clock speed is 3.3GHz, and there is a 4 core with 4MB of Level 2 cache too.

AMD Athlon II X4 641 - AD641XWNZ43GX (AD641XWNGXBOX)

It will be interesting to see how the perfromace of some of these chips compare to the A-series.

Looks like the FM1 socket may become more mainstream, and give people an upgrade path if they find that an A8-3850 and 6670 graphics card still isn't fast enough. Just make a media centre with the old chip and card (or a pc for your kids/wife/gf) and buy an Athalon II X4 631/655? and a 6950 class card and keep your existing case, motherboard etc. You will probably need a bigger power supply though.

On a recent trip to Adelaide I couldn't find a single computer shop that was building computers using the AMD Llano chips.

I ended up finding that one of the local computer shops in Alice Springs has made 40 computers so far using the AMD A8-3850 chips and are selling at least 20 per month. They use the gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H boards to make computers for a range of tasks including POS computers (there is serial and parallel ports on this motherboard), home computers and general purpose business computers. The inbuild graphics makes all tasks run smoothly and the whole computer runs comfortably on a 400 watt power supply with no noise and almost no heat output.
Working...
X