Pre-test of Latest Intel Top-Level 4-Cores CPU i7-2700K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-test of Latest Intel Top-Level 4-Cores CPU i7-2700K

Intel released the new generation framework of Sandy Bridge at early January, 2011; meanwhile, LGA 1155 is provided for support.
    Compared with the specifications of several platforms in the past, the LGA 1155 is provided with a lot of modifications in CPU overclocking (OC) at this time.
    Firstly, when a CPU with the external frequency of 100 MHz is overclocking, the other surrounding clock rates will be increased accordingly, thus the upper limit will fall around 110 MHz.
    Although the new 32nm process is introduced into the new generation 4 cores CPUs, overclocking can be only achieved by using frequency multiplication.
    The model names of i5-2500K and i7-2600K that are two kinds of CPUs without lock frequency multiplication have been released for a long time, which are considered as the representatives of the overclocking line.
    However, the overclocking can be only done by working with the chipset of overclocking frequency multiplication, i.e., P67 or Z68.

The overclocking environment for LGA 1155 is simply declared above, hoping the users can aware of the hardware for the equipment clearly.
    The middle-level CPU featured by overclocking is Core i5-2500K, while the advanced-level is Core i7-2600K.
    The main difference between them is that the 2600K is provided with Hyper-Threading (HT) technology and an 8MB L3 cache, while the 2500K is only provided 6 MB L3 cache without HT.
    This time I pursue Core i7-2700K which will appear on the market very soon and replace the advanced 2600 K.
    The total clock rate of 2700K is 3.5 GHz, which supports the new generation Turbo Boost 2.0 and can reach the maximum performance of 3.9 GHz.
    The real 4 Cores are incorporated into the Hyper-Threading technology, so that eight threading can be executed, 4C/8T for short.
    With the 32 nm process, the power consumption of 95W and the 8-MB L3 Cache, the 2700K, surpassing the 2600K 100MHz, becomes the most advanced CPU of LGA 1155.

The rear side of the 2700K is still D2 Revision, so that there is little difference in appearance between the 2700K and the 2600K at this part.

The MB is the latest Z68 high-level chipset of LGA 1155, i.e., the latest version TZ68K+ released by BIOSTAR.
    The appearance and the specification are the same as that of the TZ68A+ shared before and the primary difference is supply voltage of CPU.

Although the TZ68K+ is the new edition of BIOSTAR Z68, the price is still about US$99, thus it can challenge the low-price market of ATX Z68.
    By using the well-marked red-black matching, it has the most specifications as that of the Z68 series with the built-in Power/Reset button and a simple debugging LED.

With respect to IO, there are three types among which the two blue USBs 3.0 can provide high-speed transmission.
    If provided two more USBs 2.0, it would be more perfect with respect to the scalability.

The previous TZ68A+ is designed with four-phase power supply only, while the new edition TZ68K+ is provided with eight-phase power supply, which is the primary difference.
    However, as mentioned before, one-phase power supply can provide about 30-40 W, so , the four-phase power supply is already quite enough for overclocking of power consumption of Intel CPU.

The heat sinks above the Z68 chipset look good because of being cut by a special manner.
    Two native SATA3 units of Z68 are positioned at the right side, which are used at a general environment or in a Raid0 state.

Test platform
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K
    MB: BIOSTAR TSERIES TZ68K+
    DRAM: CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R
    VGA: Intel HD Graphics 3000
    HD: Intel 510 Series 120GB
    POWER: Thermaltake TR2 450W
    Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H80

Firstly, a performance test is performed by using the preset value of CPU.
    Preset the performance
    CPU 100 X 35 => 3500 MHz (booting Turbo Boost, and then C1E)
    DDR3 1599.8 CL7 8-7-22 1T

Hyper PI 32M X8 => 15m 21.977s
    CPUMARK 99 => 597

Re: Pre-test of Latest Intel Top-Level 4-Cores CPU i7-2700K

Nuclearus Multi Core => 23908
    Fritz Chess Benchmark => 27.86/13374

CrystalMark 2004R3 => 264699

CINEBENCH R11.5
    CPU => 6.93 pts
    CPU(Single Core) => 1.57 pts

Experience index of Windows- CPU 7.6

PCMark Vantage => 19386

The frequency multiplication of the 2700K in the mode of Turbo Boost 2.0 is 39, 38, 37 and 36 respectively; and the basic clock rate is 3.5 GHz.
    The above specification is 100 MHz higher than that of the 2600 K, the performance of this part is presented in the test, but the improvement is not much.
    Practically, both the 2600K and the 2700K are the highest-level CPUs in the framework of the Sandy Bridge, and the data obtained without overclocking is fairly high already.
    For a general use environment, most of the software requirements can be met by using the high performance preset in 2700K.

DRAM bandwidth test
    DDR3 1599.8 CL7 8-7-22 1T
    ADIA64 Memory Read - 19618 MB/s
    Sandra Memory Bandwidth - 21335 MB/s
    MaXXMEM Memory-Copy - 21168 MB/s

The DDR3bandwidth is much higher than that of our own platform or a competitor’s platform, which is the advantage of the improved LGA 1155.
    The high transmission performance of nearly 20000 MB/s can be achieved only by using DDR3 1600, and the voltage is lower than that for the previous platforms.

Temperature performance (about 26 DEG C at room temperature)
    System standby - 23~33

CPU full speed - 40~46
    Intel Burn Test v2.4,Stress Level Maximum

The temperature performance when system standby is good by enabling the energy-saving function of C1E.
    With the latest Hydro Series H80 of CORSAIR and the high thermal diffusivity of the hydro-cooling framework, the temperature is only 46 DEG C at full speed.
    Only by working with excellent air-cooling or hydro-cooling equipment, the state of the preset value on 2700K can still be lowered to a low temperature.

Power consumption test
    No software running on the OS desktop - 45W

CPU full speed- 103W

Due to introduction of 32nm, the power consumption is much lower than that of the previous generation Core i7-870 with the process of 45nm.
    The power consumption of the clock rate at the environment of C1E is only 58W higher than that of the preset maximum clock rate.
    Based on several articles about AMD APU shared by me recently, in a test with the same 32 nm and 4Cores, the power consumption of the APU platform is nearly twice that of AMD.
    It is thus clear that the performance and the power consumption under the Intel’s framework have good advantages under the same process.

Comment

Comment

WIND3C Welcome your visit.

Comment

Working...
        X