Hammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammer

i was hearing the Opteron proc. that hopefully come out soon is only going to be 800 megahertz does anyony one have the info or anything to backup this rumor

Units that AMD have sent out to component and PC manufacturers for testing have been locked at 800MHz for quality reasons due to perfecting the manufacturing process though the actual release to public units are rumoured to be higher in speed. Also don't let the low speed rating put a damper on things as the instructions per cycle rate is reported to be very high. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

yeah i know that the core is vey efficient but still why 800

Comment

As I said before only samples are locked at that speed because the manufacturing process is still being fine tuned as these were built on the 0.13micron process (really the start off of that process and SOI still has to be added) well before the Athlon made the jump to that process and by the time they are released will be much higher then we're told (the manufacturing process should also have all the bugs ironed out as well by then if not already).
        Basically AMD just wanted the samples to be reliable and found that locking them at that speed at the time gave them that. Also they probably didn't want to run the risk of someone leaking bench results of a unit closer to that that will be released months before hand and tip off Intel as to their true potential.
        Leaks of some bench results of trial 800MHz units now are putting them in a very good light so I can understand their thinking on this as they're comparing very well against 1.6-1.8GHz P4's. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

these were built on the 0.13micron process
          Every time I see that number, it does not cease to amaze me at what an Engineering accomplishment the processors of the last five years are. ITS unimaginable.

One TENTH of ONE MILLIONTH of a meter thick. WOW! A HUMAN HAIR is 200 MICRONS thick!!!

200 compared with 0.13

Absolutely insane.

Comment

Yessir, it's amazing times we live in for sure!

I read an article once that talked about how many transistors were in a PIII, and if computers were still being built with vacuum tubes, there would be few if any counties in the United States that could hold more than 1 PC:eek: :geek:
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Oh with out a doubt.
              The 2 GHz Pentium 4 contains 42 million transistors
              Source: www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/events/p4/

This is pretty neat too:

Comment

Working...
              X