Uneven Temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven Temps

I have a Q6600 Kentsfield and running OCCT i noticed that 2 cores are about 6c lower than the other 2.
    Is this normal?
    Also it's running at about 70c with a mild overclock at 2.8.
    I have a 900 gaming case and a Artic Freezer 7 fitted so i had assumed it would be running cooler than that but this may be normal.
    Looking for guidance please.
    Thanks.
    V8 Animal

Re: Uneven Temps

I'm seeing the same differences between cores on my Q6600. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. It could just be loading differences across the CPUs, or thermal path differences. If you want, you can lap your CPU and cooler! :D

70C with a good cooler seems a bit high. I have never seen temps that high on mine, but my "playroom" is cool in the winter. Even using Linpack at 3.2GHz I never saw much higher than 60C. You might try cranking up the exhaust fans on your case. What's your core voltage?
    Intel Q9550 @ 3.842GHz * Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 * 8GB of OCZ Reaper HPC * nVidia GeForce GTX 660 * Mac OS X 10.9.2

Comment

Hi thanks for helping me.
      I have all fans set to L2
      Normal CPU Vcore 1.32500V
      V8 Animal

Comment

The cores are independent and the degree of difference is entirely normal.

As to your temps, they are indeed elevated, I would suggest you physically check the cooler push pin mounts as they are notorious for disengaging, it sounds as if you may have one or more not securely engaged.

Obviously you'll need to replace your thermal paste if you remove your cooler.
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Originally posted by ANZAC_ELITE View Post
          The cores are independent and the degree of difference is entirely normal.

As to your temps, they are indeed elevated, I would suggest you physically check the cooler push pin mounts as they are notorious for disengaging, it sounds as if you may have one or more not securely engaged.

Obviously you'll need to replace your thermal paste if you remove your cooler.
          Just removed cooler it did look ok.
          Not easy to refit as on clip kept on folding on it's back.
          OCCT reports at idle 45/36/35/45
          CPU Clock keeps changing EIST enabled?
          CPU 1 is the hottest.

Comment

Those push pins are the most useless mounting system I have ever encountered, is there a bolt through option available for your cooler? If there is I would recommend you use it.

OCCT uses the correct TjMax for my chip (though I prefer Real Temp) so I would presume it is the same for yours, those temps are high for idle but the sensors were never intended to accurately report idle temps, what are your load temps? (OCCT or IntelBurnTest)

Cpu clock changing will be EIST/Speedstep, it is a good thing

Given what you posted (assuming they are Core 0,1,2,3) it still appears (imo) that the cooler isn't making ideal contact with the chip, which thermal paste did you use when you remounted the cooler?

have you tried a lower vcore, 1.325v seems a lot for such a small oc, what is your chips VID? (this can be found using Core Temp, Real Temp, Everest)
            E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Originally posted by ANZAC_ELITE View Post
              Those push pins are the most useless mounting system I have ever encountered, is there a bolt through option available for your cooler? If there is I would recommend you use it.

OCCT uses the correct TjMax for my chip (though I prefer Real Temp) so I would presume it is the same for yours, those temps are high for idle but the sensors were never intended to accurately report idle temps, what are your load temps? (OCCT or IntelBurnTest)

Cpu clock changing will be EIST/Speedstep, it is a good thing

Given what you posted (assuming they are Core 0,1,2,3) it still appears (imo) that the cooler isn't making ideal contact with the chip, which thermal paste did you use when you remounted the cooler?

have you tried a lower vcore, 1.325v seems a lot for such a small oc, what is your chips VID? (this can be found using Core Temp, Real Temp, Everest)
              Core Temp 40/40/33/33
              As for load goes to 70c in less than a minute changed to 80c lasts 10 mins unhappy with this so new cooler reqd.
              Reset it still the same std antec paste used.
              Sorry don't know how to change vcore shaded ut on bios it is the latest bios.
              chips VID is 1.325V as states and according to Core Temp
              Sorry novice here hope you don't mind.
              As for the cooler advice on here has told me to bin it and im getting a Noctua not so popular it seems in the UK
              V8 Animal

Comment

Comment

Hi what's your thoughts on this one?
                  Zalman's CNPS9500 LED CPU cooler - The Tech Report - Page 1
                  As this is available at my local pc shop.
                  No worries about fitting it just bought a new tower and had to remove all the parts and refit will have to do it again now but hey ho.
                  GA-P35-DS4 Mobo all fans are directed properley but case is fitted in recess in table which is not the best for airflow i know.
                  Cheers

Comment

IMHO that Zalman looks flashy but I'm not impressed with the performance in that test. I have the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and it works well for me. Be sure to get the Crossbow bolt-through mounting kit with it. The TRUE, Tuniq Tower, Sunbeam Core Contact etc. are all good choices as well. Check FrostyTech and SilentPCReview for good cooler recommendations.

Saving a few pounds on the cooler and frying an expensive CPU doesn't make sense to me.
                    Intel Q9550 @ 3.842GHz * Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 * 8GB of OCZ Reaper HPC * nVidia GeForce GTX 660 * Mac OS X 10.9.2

Comment

Hi again,
                      Went ahead and bought the zalman.
                      Fitted it ok idle temps are about the same which was a dissapointment.
                      However used OCCT and managed to complete their test for the hour now that's a result temps peaked at 77c
                      So still hot but stable.
                      I'll have ago at posting some screenshots that may help decide if there is a problem with my settings.

According to the preview they worked.
                      Is the memory right reading 800mhz but i have 8500
                      Thanks again guys.
                      V8 Animal
                      Last edited by V8 Animal; 01-31-2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

OCCT Screenshot showing temps.

Cheers again

Comment

I can't see much in your cpu-z screenshot but it appears that the vcore is 1.4xx something, also I'm not familiar with your bios options but it appears that your vcore is set to 1.5v ??? That's way too much, no wonder your temps are high. Where it says cpu voltage control in white you should be able to adjust it down, at the very least go down to 1.325v. The problem isn't the cooler entirely, excessive vcore is the main culprit imo.

The bios options in white are adjustable the ones in blue are the default values

Your memory needs to be set to 1066MHz by using a different divider to the 3.2 you're currently using.

The Zalman is not the worst choice you could have made but also not the best.

Comment

Thanks for your help again.
                            I have reduced vcore to 1.264v and ran the test for a hour temps reached 61c about 20 degrees lower!!
                            How low can you go on the vcore voltage as i don't know what it does.
                            Confused with the memory comment as my bios shot shows 800/1066 which i thought was correct for my memory as pic.
                            I have set it as you advised and now 800/800 divider one notch lower 2.4 i think.
                            Can you go into it a bit more for me please.
                            Just making sure that memory is suiting overclock and visaversa.
                            Now temps are much lower would you have ago at 3.2ghz?
                            Thanks again.
                            Paul
                            Last edited by V8 Animal; 02-01-2009, 06:22 AM.

Comment

vcore is the voltage your cpu gets, the lower the better, keep lowering it and testing until you get instability then go back up one setting and you should be fine.

You should be able to do 3.2GHz no problems, set your CPU Host Frequency to 400MHz and your CPU Clock Ratio to 8, you will probably need to lift your CPU Voltage Control to around 1.30V or there abouts (maybe a little more, maybe a little less) until your pc is stable.

You are correct that your memory was running at 1066MHz, I made an error there (333MHZ CPU Host Frequency x 3.2 CPU Clock Ratio = 1066MHz Memory Frequency)

To get your memory to run at 1066MHz with a 400MHz FSB (CPU Host Frequency) you'll need to use a CPU Clock Ratio of 2.655 if you have one available (I'm not sure which CPU Clock Ratio options your board provides) as 400MHZ CPU Host Frequency x 2.655 CPU Clock Ratio = 1066MHz Memory Frequency (roughly)

Good luck
                              Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 02-02-2009, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X