Upgrade question Best AM2 cpu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade question Best AM2 cpu

I have an asrock 939 esata2 board with a cpu expansion slot for AM2 cpu. I am looking to upgrade in the next 6 months or so and have not kept up with whats been going on in the cpu world.

I am on a very modest buget, so I am looking for the best AM2 cpu I can get between January to March 2008. So I guess what I am really looking for now is the best AM2 card now that will price drop by that date.

Re: Upgrade question Best AM2 cpu

Kind of hard to predict things that far in the future...

By that point, things will have changed drastically.

Comment

You're gonna need DDR2 ram as well to go with an AM2 CPU. Prices are far too volatile to guess what they will cost then.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I've yet to hear of one of those boards actually running an AM2 CPU as 939 CPU's have a DDR memory controller and (as already pointed out) the AM2's have a DDRII memory controller so I'm sure you'll see the problem as that mainboard doesn't support DDRII memory.

Comment

Test
          Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
          Managing Director
          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by jjordan27 View Post
            I have an asrock 939 esata2 board with a cpu expansion slot for AM2 cpu. I am looking to upgrade in the next 6 months or so and have not kept up with whats been going on in the cpu world.

I am on a very modest buget, so I am looking for the best AM2 cpu I can get between January to March 2008. So I guess what I am really looking for now is the best AM2 card now that will price drop by that date.
            ------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think about:
            1.)page 5: 1.2 specifications: CPU
            2.)expansion slots: future CPU port: page 11
            of your motherboard manual: 939SLI32-eSATA2 Quick Installation Guide?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44 View Post
              I've yet to hear of one of those boards actually running an AM2 CPU as 939 CPU's have a DDR memory controller and (as already pointed out) the AM2's have a DDRII memory controller so I'm sure you'll see the problem as that mainboard doesn't support DDRII memory.
              There is an expansion board that will run an AM2 CPU and DDR 2 on this motherboard. The CPU and ram mounts to the expansion board.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter View Post
                There is an expansion board that will run an AM2 CPU and DDR 2 on this motherboard. The CPU and ram mounts to the expansion board.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Asrock
                939SLI-eSATA2
                User Manual

1.2 Specifications:

Memory: -Dual Channel DDR Memory Technology (see CAUTION 3)
                ............. -4xDDR DIMM SLOTS
                ............. -Support DDR400/333/266
                ............. -Max capacity: 4GB

page 6

CAUTION!

3.)This motherboard supports Dual Channel Memory Technology. Before you implement Dual Channel Memory Technology, make sure to read the installation guide of memory modules on page 14 for proper installation.

page 8

Comment

ASRock
                  939CPU Board

called: ASRock CPU EZ Upgrade
                  Part No.: 90-CXS0D0-00UANZ , 939CPU BOARD/CPU CARD/ASR

939CPU Board Specifications
                  Memory:
                  4xDDR DIMM Slots: DDR1, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4
                  Support PC3200 (DDR400) / PC2700 (DDR333) / PC2100 (DDR266), Max 4GB
                  Dual Channel Memory Technology Support

The above part number is a CPU Board that is matched to a "K8 Upgrade Series MB"

The following url is a list of compatible CPUs.
                  The lower list is titled : 939SLI32-eSATA2 w AM2 CPU Board

Pay attention to the differences and match your CPUs

Socket 939 for AMD Athlon™ 64FX / 64X2 / 64 processors; ULi M1697 + M1695; Supports FSB 1000 MHz (2.0 GT/s), Hyper-Transport Technology, AMD Cool 'n' Quiet Technology; Future CPU Port: Supports CPU upgrade from AMD K8 939-Pin CPU to AM2 940-Pin CPU through AM2 CPU Board (optional); Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed PCIE/ PCI Buses; Supports Dual Channel DDR400, 4 DIMMs slots; Hybrid Booster - ASRock Safe Overclocking Technology; Supports PCIE Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s; 2 full-bandwidth PCI Express x16 slots; 1 x PCI Express x 4 slot; 1 x IEEE 1394 Port; 4 ports of SATA2 3.0Gb/s, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, JBOD, and RAID 5), Hot Plug function, and 2 ATA 133 IDE ports; 2 ports of eSATA2 3.0Gb/s (shared with 2 SATA2 ports), and Hot Plug function; 5.1 Channel with High Definition Audio; Windows Vista Hardware Ready; ASRock eSATA2+1394 I/O : 2 eSATA2 Ports, 1 x IEEE 1394 Port

There is one other issue and that is SLI/Crossfire. This MB supports Radeon Crossfire or SLI.

Good luck. y
                  Last edited by y eye; 09-10-2007, 08:00 PM.

Comment

His motherboard has an expansion slot for an expansion board that will allow it to run:

1. AM2 CPU
                    2. DDR2 ram

Since you like to post things that are wrong, I will correct you this one last time. The AM2 CPU Board for his motherboard takes DDR2 (DDR II as they wrote it). Please be certain of the facts you are quoting as to not cause someone to buy something with false pretenses.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate

Comment

There are compatibility issues here that you may not be aware of. If you will pay attention to the differences between the K8 939 and 940 statements and if you should have access to the CPU card then it may become obvious that there is an interchange issue. I have not seen any reference to a CPU Card that is 940 in any of the above posts. Maybe you have a pm from the owner. It would be considerate of him to post on this issue because I have the board and card and two amd cpus and two radeons. One word of caution. The recent issues, revisions, of this motherboard do not like clocking and have a habit of popping capacitors. Just a hint from a friend that has had the unfortunate experience, 10 capicitors popped at once. I do not have version numbers but be warned.

Comment

OK y eye, if you are not going to even read my link, then just stop posting in this thread. The adapter I linked to CLEARLY states it is for socket 940 CPUs. You need to post your system specs and some pictures because the ONLY cpu adapter made for these boards is specifically to run an AM2 socket 940 CPU WITH DDR 2 on the Socet 939 DDR1 motherboards. Plus, if you have 2 Radeons, what are you doing trying to run Crossfire in a SLI motherboard? This is exactly why you need to post you complete system specs. My patience is running out with you. Any more cryptic posts without you giving relevant information will just be deleted PLUS any more posts where you suggest advice when you are so completely wrong will also be deleted. Let's try to give people useful info about THEIR system and not worry about YOUR system.
                        Last edited by casecutter; 09-11-2007, 01:57 PM.
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate

Comment

You are no longer credible. The ASRock Motherboard that we are talking about has a system disk that is part of the sealed box new oem motherboard box, retail. It is a disk that is often referred to as the motherboard driver disk. What you do not know is the contents of the driver disk, and you know what ... I no longer believe that there is a credible member with one either. I was going to share my motherboard manual and information in public forum but not now. You have put the owner in a precarious position and you have accused me of causing the problem. I will help the owner and invite him to pm me if he is interested. I will give you a clue about the SLI/Xfire setup on this motherboard: there is a power connector for the Crossfire setup on the motherboard. You tell me where it is and we may talk. Second there is an identifying marking on the board that identifies the K8 designation. Where is it...

Comment

What is the big deal about posting your specs? Fine, you have some beta cooler, but the rest of the stuff is available to anyone.

By the way, it's obvious that Casecutter is correct.

Back to the original question now...

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              What is the big deal about posting your specs? Fine, you have some beta cooler, but the rest of the stuff is available to anyone.

By the way, it's obvious that Casecutter is correct.

Back to the original question now...
                              absolutely correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X