FX-53 or 55?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX-53 or 55?

Before I go and spend a **** load of money on an FX processor I would like some comments on what one you guys think I should get, open to suggestions about rest of rig#2 as well. (pros, cons, etc.)

Edit:Also am I correct in the assumtion that the FX-54 is a socket 940 chip? And if not which ones is it, I know to stay away from it.
    Last edited by Amd_Lover2004; 11-16-2004, 01:46 AM.

Re: FX-53 or 55?

There is no FX-54 for starters (there are no even numbers atm) and the FX-53 is now the A64 4000 (the same as the old FX-51 became the A64 3800).
    Last edited by wayout44; 11-16-2004, 04:31 AM.

Comment

OK so Athlon 64 4000? or FX 55?

Comment

Is there a 4000? Anyways, the FX-55 is always going to be the best..... You can safely say that it is the best processor made today.

Comment

Ok. To clear up a few things. The FX-51 was on socket 940, requiring registered ecc ram. The FX-53 was on both socket 940 and socket 939. The FX-55 is on socket 939 only. If you are able to get a socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53 then do it. You will easily be able to overclock it past FX-55 speeds.

Comment

But I dont want to loose my warenty on that $1200 processor I think I am going to go with the FX 55.

Comment

You won't lose your warranty by upping the multiplier by a little bit. I have a friend who has gotten his Athlon 64 FX 53 past 2.9 gHz on air with no problems whatsoever. Paying a few hundred dollars more for an extra 200 mHz is honestly not worth it.

Comment

The FX 53 is rated at 2.4 GHz correct?

Comment

Correct. If you want more information on AMD Processors, I suggest checking out http://forums.amd.com There's a lot of knowledgable people there.

Comment

There are quite a few knoledgeable people here aswell.

Comment

Yea, but some people that actually work for AMD are on those forums so that you are assured that you're getting the totally correct info. Also, with you FX system, if you get a case like the one you have now that comes with a psu, check out the amperage on the rails. You shouldn't run it with less than 20a. Your current psu only has 13a. I'm surprised you're not getting stability issues.

Comment

Meh none so far I am looking at the Thermaltake 480 Butterfly for Brice, thought I would get two for me as well, one for my current system and one for the next one.

Comment

TT Butterfly psu's are a good choice.

Comment

So I've been told by these nice people.

Comment

Oh, do anyone here beleive PCI Express is on its way or is it already available, cant seem to find a mobo with DDR 2 & PCI Express for AMDS :(

Comment

Working...
                              X