Athlon 64 3200 Clawhammer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon 64 3200 Clawhammer?

Does anyone know what happened to the 3200 clawhammer cpu at new egg? I haven't checked anywhere else but it is not there anymore. Has it been discontinued?

Re: Athlon 64 3200 Clawhammer?

Clawhammer was just the core name AMD had originally used for the socket 754 Athlon 64s. Some will be Clawhammers and some will be Newcastles, but their is no major difference. Here's a 3200 Clawhammer, but it's designed for DTR notebooks and may not work in desktop motherboards.

Comment

Well Clawhammers have 1MB L2 caches while Newcastles only have 512KB so that would be a difference but that extra cache comes at a cost and like the Barton core AMD would possiblely like to let the Clawhammer core disappear as well so they can boost profit margins.

Comment

Yawgm0th and wayout44 thanks for commenting but my question was about the "clawhammer" model of ahtlon 64 3200(I already knew the information you guys stated). I was intending to buy that model because of the 1mb L2 cache. I was just wondering if it has been discontinued or not.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
          Well Clawhammers have 1MB L2 caches while Newcastles only have 512KB so that would be a difference but that extra cache comes at a cost and like the Barton core AMD would possiblely like to let the Clawhammer core disappear as well so they can boost profit margins.
          That's a common assumption that I recently discovered was false. The Clawhammer is just a different name. Not all Clawhammers are 1MB L2 and not all Newcastles are 512KB L2.

Comment

I just bought the Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer with 1MB L2 cache last week from newegg but I haven't seen them listed in the last few days.

Comment

Working...
            X